iphone gen 2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fife321, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Fife321 macrumors newbie

Sorry for a newb question and i know that it's not a question with a definite answer, but here goes:

I would like to get an iphone, however for whatever reason i'm waiting for the 2nd generation to come out (a true second generation, not just a memory upgrade). I'm a free agent so to speak with my current cell provider so i can wait it out.... with the announcement of the new SDK, does this indicate a possible version 2 of the iphone, or just an upgrade on the internal software? if it's an indication of the former, typically how long do these improvements take to implement (from SDK to public release)?

I know that apple has added more memory to the phones, and i have to think that with that move a 'new' version of the phone is several months off, if not longer....i just wanted to get people's thoughts on the SDK's meaning for the 'next generation'...

again my apologies on such a newbie question....thanks for the help..

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I think the SDK has no weight on the generation 2 iPhone. I wish Steve would announce it at the same time, but they aren't related.

As far as applications, I think you'll see some (maybe not too great ones) the same day Steve announces. Why? Cause some special developers plus Apple probably have a couple things that will be ready for us.

3. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

anyone can only guess for 2nd gen, sept would be a good time i think, the sdk will give the current gen a new lease of life, there is nothing out there still thats really competing with the iphone interface / whole package, and by then im sure they would have crammed the newer low powered 3g chips in, plus itll be ready for the holiday season, and those whos contrcats are ending on 1st gen.

4. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I'm still holding out some hope that they will announce the iphone 2 at this event. My reasoning is that they need to give people a reason to keep buying the current model while they get the new model through the FCC. The SDK and new apps should keep interest up in the current iPhone for a little while, even if a new (most likely higher priced) model is on the horizon. I know it is not the Apple way to pre-announce a product but they've done it on occasion (see appletv take 1).

5. rayward macrumors 65816

People have a reason to buy the current model: it rocks! And the SDK release will only make it better! A 3G iPhone will require FCC approval, a process that is entirely public. We'll know the moment Apple applies for 3G approval, but that process has some lead time - a couple of months maybe.

When we see the FCC application, we can start the countdown for V2.

6. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

That's kind of what I meant... once Apple let's the cat out of the proverbial bag about iPhone 2 (i.e., submitting it to the FCC) I would imagine that demand for iPhone 1 would drop significantly as everyone would wait for the new model to come out. So I am guessing that in order to soften the blow somewhat they will use the SDK application hype to keep interest up while letting people know that the next iPhone is on its way.

I also think that the new iPhone will be at a higher price point than the current model, and that the current model will see a price drop. I think Apple will continue to sell iPhone 1 at a lower price with a lower cost data plan, and position the iPhone 2 as a sort of "iPhone Pro" with 3G at a higher price point and a slightly more expensive data plan.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Might as well sit on the fence with me. From most of what I read, the 3G iPhone will come out sometime this summer. That will more than likely be a 2nd-generation product. Now Apple may not do away with the EDGE iPhones then if 1) AT&T charges more for a 3G plan (which a Computerworld article said they may), and 2) Apple wants to get the prices down. $299 for a 16GB EDGE iPhone is not unrealistic by the time. I would bet more along the lines of something like an "iPhone Nano" that's a bit smaller and has fewer features (to reduce the price), but who knows what'll be out there.