iPhone gen1, Why I think it may be here for awhile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by starcrossed, Nov 28, 2007.

1. starcrossed macrumors regular

I think like most of us here, who had an iPhone for a while, you have that natural feeling that next version of the iPhone is right around the corner, possibly at MacWorld, but as I was pondering this idea, I realized that the iPhone gen1 might indeed be around a while. My evidence is the fact that the iPhone is barely hitting countries around the world. Since Apple releases products world wide and not generally in certain countries, a better gen2 iPhone in the US might piss off some new gen1 UK, France, German and so on customers. Now Apple might release a 16gb iPhone, nothing more than that change. It seems that since Apple has slowly been increasing the capability in iPhone software updates every now and then, must mean they know this phone will be around for a while, and the updates aim to intermittently breathe new life in the product for more new customers, and those have gotten used to its functionality.

Well, now feel free to discuss

2. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I disagree. One of the reasons that Apple is 'barely hitting countries around the world' is because a non-3G phone is a non-starter in many markets. I believe that Apple will be breaking their necks to get a 3G model produced and that it will be with us next year.

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I wouldn't be too terribly surprised to see a new iPhone announced in March, maybe February, but I think anyone who is expecting a new iPhone at MWSF is a bit too optimistic.

Apple has never updated an existing iPod model at MWSF. Why is that? Because you don't want to piss off the 10 million people who got a new iPod just two weeks earlier.

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

ya, i dont think your logic is right...

I think we'll see a new phone in fall of '08... but also, won't apple have to report any new device to the FCC? so won't we know about it a while before it comes out?

5. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

iPhone 2nd Gen with 3G before Asia launch. Probably late-summer '08. I think the predictions of May are too early.

6. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I agree... It would be a stupid move for apple to release a non 3G phone in Asia. Most of the phones no matter how crappy are 3G in China... it just wouldn't work with the price it's asking.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Not if the new model comes out overseas first.

8. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

when has apple ever released anything overseas first?

9. sparkyms macrumors 65816

iPhone was announced before it hit the FCC, if I remember rightly.

Doesn't stop them from ANNOUNCING something before its later released...

10. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

sure... i guess my logic is for the people who think it will be here in a month or 2 ...

11. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

"MacWorld is about the Mac". Steve said something like that at the last one.

12. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

An iPhone with only a 3G update wouldn't be called iPhone 2.

The iPhone 2 will be first released in the US.

According to you guys, by may or march or whenever the hell you say, the iPhone could possibly have:
    3G
    More Space
    Possibly GPS.

Oh, wow.

It ain't going to happen.

13. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

i think the iPhone platform will stick around for a while. the software upgrades and stuff will be compatible with the current iPhones even if the hardware changes. none of this only the new iPods get the new software. its based off of OS X and as people have found with jailbreaking the iPhone and iPod touch, the apps are easily moved b/w phones.

However, i do think there will be hardware chages. I do not think apple can release the iPhone in Asia with out including 3G. The market there is so saturated with cell phones, I think if apple came out with one that wasn't 3G, then apple would be laughed at. I also think apple will release the 16GB iPhone in the somewhat near future.

But these changes arent really that big. They arent even noticeable from the outside. So i think for the most part the iPhone will not see too many changes for a while.

14. Apple321 macrumors member

If and when a 16gb iPhone is released, what do you think will happen with the price? Would it probably be more expensive than the current 8gb iPhone or would we see a price cut in the 8gb model and see the 16gb model move into the 400 dollar range?

15. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I doubt that they would announce the release such a significant upgrade (3G) much beforehand. It would completely kill off sales of the current model during the intervening period unless there was a substantial price difference.

16. lordgaino macrumors member

in my view the next big developments for the iphone are going to be software based and not hardware based.

asia is a red herring because frankly the genuine crossover between asia and the rest of us is mininal across the whole mobile phone market.

apple have released a platform that is going to prove revolutionary because since it is totally software based it can be effectively wiped clean and turned upside down at a moments notice.

With things coming to market such as pinpointing locations via mobile phone masts instead of gps (again a software based innovation), I think they have big suprises out there for us before they even think about changing the hardware in a significant way.

17. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

There's no reason not to expect a 3G data and capacity refresh come May time. I don't think either of these things will be unexpected or upset the average iPhone owner.

It's correct, it'll have to go through FCC testing once more, but i don't necessarily expect them to pre-announce like they did last time. What did we find out from the last FCC release, the look, shape and frequencies it operated in, which we already new from Macworld. I doubt any of that will change for this refresh.

If and i hope there is, there'll be an iPhone nano, we'll probably get a pre-announce, but that should be targeting a lower price/reduced feature set, so unlikely to upset iPhone sales.

M.:cool:

18. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

blaster_boy

I think it will be mid-2009 before we see an iPhone with new hardware capabilities; the upgrade to 16 Gig should be possible before then, but I won't call that a new iPhone.

A new iPhone for me would have a GPS and 3G integrated, perhaps even a new formfactor.

Look at Nintendo and Sony :
    - Nintendo basically released the Nintendo DS only to release the Nintendo DS Lite later : apart from a better screen and ergonomics, it's nothing new in the hardware department
    - Sony released the psp and only now has released the psp lite. To my eye, nothing much has changed for the psp, no radical new hardware.

Based on the above, my guess is mid-2009 !

19. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

What happened at the last one? :rolleyes:

I think we're safe for a while. Japan will love the iPhone, but has to be 3G. They wouldn't buy it without it - and they can't. It won't work without 3G in Japan.

20. sjo macrumors 6502a

Yeah, everybody said the same thing about releasing non 3g phone in Europe, and look what Apple did! (Though seems like everybody was right and Apple wrong...)

21. lordgaino macrumors member

boring! if your always waiting for the 'next version', then you'll always be on the sidelines.

go into the apple store, hand over your credit card and come join us at the dark side.... mwah hahahahahahahaha

22. csi24 macrumors member

csi24

With this new Google GPS thing, Apple doesn't need to put a GPS into the iPhone thus draining the battery life. Maybe 16gb, and 3g, but other than that, nothing real new should be in the new iPhone