iPhone/Genius Experience

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigbigbob, Jul 28, 2010.

1. bigbigbob macrumors newbie

I was having issues with proximity sensor so I made an appointment at the Apple Store. Went in on time and was greeted by Genius. He said his wife had the same problem and that it was going to be addressed by os update but that he would replace mine with a new phone anyway. Whole thing handled in less than 5 minutes. :D This is not my first experience with a problem with an Apple product and this is pretty much the way that it's been handle for me everytime. I will most certainly remain a loyal customer because of the way I have been treated. After seeing so many negative experiences here I thought we could use something to balance it out with.

2. warrmr macrumors regular

This is the exact same experiance I have had each time I have taken something back to apple.
    iPod classig HDD died and was clicking was diagnised and replaced in under 5 mins.
    iPhone 3GS hold switch and wake button were wearing out after 10 months of use. Diagnosed within 5 mins new phone next day.
    Macbook battery died after 9 months 20 mins on the phone to apple care and a new battery was sent via UPS next day delivery.

This is why when people say that apple products are overprices crap I explain that they wont get this kind of service from any other company.

before I got my macbook I looked at the Dell XPS and they match spec and price very close but you dont get the apple guarentee and service which is worth a lot.

Given I have never attempted to take an out of guarentee product back to a geinus.

3. ngrimes-2010 macrumors regular

Had the exact same problem and exact same experience! And somehow (it's not placebo, I'm on my phone ALL the time) my replacement doesn't have the issue!? :eek:

4. tomashi macrumors regular

5. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

The new update to fix the proximity sensor will be out in a few days. Why not just wait?

6. iPadztr macrumors 6502

why wait if you can get phone that doesnt have the prox problem.? Assuming the replacement doesnt have the same problem ;)

7. spades1412 macrumors 6502

I wonder what is causing the proximity sensor issues. If it is indeed a software issue, wouldn't ALL iPhones running 4.0.1 have this issue? I have never had any proximity issues and I have a launch iPhone 4. The reception issue I can replicate, but not a single proximity issue.

8. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I don't get it....if the proximity sensor issue is a software problem then why are they swapping out the device?

9. bigbigbob thread starter macrumors newbie

So far so good!

10. bigbigbob thread starter macrumors newbie

Mine was pretty bad. I kept thinking I was dropping calls and actually I was hitting the mute button with my cheek!

11. bigbigbob thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe they are just being agreeable to avoid any more drama. And then again, who knows, maybe there was a batch of sensors with issues and they are just trying to take care of it quietly. I can tell you this; I don't think I would have walked away as happy as I did if the Genius had told me to just wait for the next software update.

12. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

Not as big of a deal as an iPhone, but it's the small things that do it for me... I stepped on my year old iPhone headphones with the mic and remote the other day and completely broke them. I went in and asked them if I could get a replacement pair. She told me to grab a pair off the shelf and I could have those. That's what I love Apple. No other company would just tell you to grab another one of their product off the shelf.

Attached Files: