Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foothead

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
in a house
I have An 8GB iPhone, which worked perfectly on OS 1 and 2. Since updating to OS 3, I have been having strange problems though, and every time apple releases a new update, they get worse.

The main problem I have is constant crashing. I cannot run safari long at all before it goes to a black screen, then either hangs there until I reboot or crashes to the home screen. Similar things have also been happening with mail. If I try to open any emails with html, it will hang for quite a while, go to a black screen, then get stuck that way until I reboot.

I also have major issues with music playback, with both mp3 and ALAC. Any music I try to play sounds god-awful, like an old beat to hell record. It skips, pops, and stutters all the time. The phone already sounded like hell before, but this makes it totally useless as a music player.

Then there is the youtube application. It usually takes it 5-10 attempts to get the videos to load, with it either trying to load forever, saying the format is unsupported, or crashing back to 'favorite videos'.

Every one of these problems has been there since OS3 was released, getting progressively worse, except the music problems which just began after the last update. I have ruled out hardware error, having replaced the entire logic board. The phone has never been jailbroken, and I have done numerous reformats, in both Windows and Mac. Is there any chance that these issues can be fixed somehow? I am completely at a loss right now.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Why haven't you upgraded?

I know the first gen is a nice phone. It'd be great if Apple supported it forever. The sad truth is that it's out of date hardware and it's only going to get worse with 4.0.

LegendKillerUK

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010

I know the first gen is a nice phone. It'd be great if Apple supported it forever. The sad truth is that it's out of date hardware and it's only going to get worse with 4.0.

It can't get more unstable for him. If he's using the first gen iPhone he isn't gettng OS 4.

vizkiz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Long Island, NY
That's odd. My brother has a first gen that runs fine on 3.x. Have you tried restoring and setting up as a new phone instead of restoring from a backup?
I saw you had said you've reformatted several times, but wasn't sure if you meant erased the phone completely and then started as new, or restored from a backup.

mikeyiphone

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Im having some of the same issues as you foothead, as much as i want to blame the updates I have come to realize its the phone itself too.

My home button in the last few weeks is starting to become unresponsive, same goes for the touch screen itself. When the home button does work it either brings up the music controls or goes to the search spotlight cause of me repeating pressing it for a response.

Webpages freeze up, apps take a while to open. There seems to be about a 10 second delay to open up the sms after i get a text.

The music player craps out and I could swear the volume of the phone has gotten lower (either that or im going deaf).

The phone is over a 1000 days old and surprising the battery is still a beast lol

The phone itself is a monster and i love it but sadly for the O.G iPhone its time to upgrade.

I held out last year on the 3GS and im glad i did cause this new version, if the reports and leaks seem to be true, will definitely be worth it.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
The first gen's hardware is almost the same as the 3G, sans GPS and 3G chip. It shouldn't preform any worse than the 3G would preform running the 3.0 software.

foothead

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
in a house

I would love to upgrade, but $200 + an extra $15 a month is just too much for me.

That's odd. My brother has a first gen that runs fine on 3.x. Have you tried restoring and setting up as a new phone instead of restoring from a backup?
I saw you had said you've reformatted several times, but wasn't sure if you meant erased the phone completely and then started as new, or restored from a backup.

yes, I have done this numerous times, in both mac and windows formats.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Don't worry I'm in the same position as you. Other things for me include calling/texting from the contacts page causes it to freeze, music always skips on the first 10 seconds, or doesn't play until I seek somewhere random on the track, etc.. etc..

mikeyiphone

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
I would love to upgrade, but $200 + an extra $15 a month is just too much for me.

yes, I have done this numerous times, in both mac and windows formats.

Buy the 3GS at walmart for $97. I think its actually an extra 10 a month.

Im not happy about paying extra a month for the same thing i have now but my phone is becoming unbearable.I can assume that your phone isnt far from that point.

You could try to find an an original iPhone on craigslist or ebay but again i think it may be due to the age of the hardware itself.

foothead

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
in a house
Anyone know of a way I can roll back to OS2?

I cannot believe this is so widespread. I gues I won't be buying a new model iPhone when it comes to be upgrade time.

Lol thank God I have my ASUS Eee tablet, I need something small that will actually run.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
To say that you won't upgrade to the new phone because your three generations old iPhone doesn't run effectively with the updated software is ridiculous. It's like saying I won't buy a new car because it won't play my vintage collection of 8 track tapes!
To each their own I guess.
My 3g with plenty of mileage seems to run better on the latest version of the os than any of the earlier versions. And that's still without the hardware to go with it! Personally, I can't wait to upgrade to a phone that is designed to run the latest version of the software.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
There is ways to downgrade to 2.0+ firmware.
3.0+ really drags on 2G and 3G models in general.
Not much you can do about it but get a new phone if you can afford it or go back to lower firmware.
You will lose alot of features, improvements and new updated apps will not work with old software though. Your call.

foothead

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
in a house
There is ways to downgrade to 2.0+ firmware.
3.0+ really drags on 2G and 3G models in general.
Not much you can do about it but get a new phone if you can afford it or go back to lower firmware.
You will lose alot of features, improvements and new updated apps will not work with old software though. Your call.

Got a link? The phone is basically unusable for most things right now, so I wouldn't really mind losing features to make it work.

scubasteve03

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
Tulsa, OK
I'm pretty sure most of your apps are not going to work with 2.x. Most of the apps in the store say they require 3.0. That's more than a few features.

foothead

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
in a house
I'm pretty sure most of your apps are not going to work with 2.x. Most of the apps in the store say they require 3.0. That's more than a few features.

there are probably three usable apps on this phone. Everything else locks up and/or crashes. Anything 3D artifacts like crazy. It's really pathetic because the phone used to be amazing.

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
I cannot believe this is so widespread. I gues I won't be buying a new model iPhone when it comes to be upgrade time.

While I can understand you being frustrated, I don't get the logic of this statement. Several folks have said the same thing - you're probably seeing problems due to the age of your hardware. Electronics fail over time; you're approaching the end of the operational life of your first gen iPhone, yet this fact will keep you from upgrading to new hardware when it comes available?

I don't get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.