Iphone getting HDR

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bodhi395, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

Wondering what all you photography buffs think of the announcement today that the new version of the iPhone OS will include the ability for the iPhone to take HDR photos?

2. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

It is good news - the limitations of the lens and sensor will still be there of course, but this will make for better images.

3. CATinHAWAII macrumors member

CATinHAWAII

i think it's awesome... have to try as soon as it comes out...

easy way to try different situations, when the
    situations arise,, then can come back with 30d and good lens
    if i like how my "preview" looks... :cool:

4. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

is HDR a feature that other camera-phones have had? i didn't know it was merely enabled by software.

by the way - i'm not a photo buff, but a photoshop one.

5. jwestpro macrumors member

I've been using an hdr app all year. dark exposure + light exposure = blend. easy enough and you get what you pay for. it's pretty good for some scenes, crappy for others with sharp edges.

you can get crazy with a stitched panorama first making hdr versions, then stitching them :eek:

I use "photostitch" and it's really quite good. retains full resolution too.

6. Duke&tank macrumors member

The HDR on the IPhone Is Amazing!!! im a IPhone Developer and i have 4.1 right now

7. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Do we know if it takes three separate photos or is there some way that it is able to sample the same photo at three different times?

In other words, the simple thing to do would be to take three photos. After each photo you zero the sensor and start over.

An interesting way to do it would be to start integrating the image then at the first interval you read out the information but leave the sensor data intact. Then after the second interval you read it out again and after the third interval you read the final result. This would give you, respectively, underexposed, normal and overexposed. It would happen faster and presumably would not have a registration problem. Neat trick if the hardware allows it.