Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattwallace24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Connecticut
I would like to buy an iPhone 4 for my girlfriend who is an AT&T customer.

Since this will result in a higher monthly fee for her, I do not want to tie her down with another 2 year commitment. It would be nice for her to drop back to her old plan if she doesn't like the iPhone or needs to cut expense.

Can I pay full price for the phone and simply gift it to her and she could then register it via iTunes with no new term commitment?

If not, any suggestions? Any gotcha's other than cost with this scenario?

Thanks.

preppy

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2010
ColoRADo
I would like to buy an iPhone 4 for my girlfriend who is an AT&T customer.

Since this will result in a higher monthly fee for her, I do not want to tie her down with another 2 year commitment. It would be nice for her to drop back to her old plan if she doesn't like the iPhone or needs to cut expense.

Can I pay full price for the phone and simply gift it to her and she could then register it via iTunes with no new term commitment?

If not, any suggestions? Any gotcha's other than cost with this scenario?

Thanks.

Sort of. Is your girlfriend on an iPhone plan currently? If so, she will be able to get a microSIM and pop it into the iphone4 without re-upping her ATT contract commitment.

If your gf is not on an iPhone contract, she will probably have to switch to the iPhone data/phone contract in order to utilize the phone (unless you want to unlock the iPhone). I don't think switching to the iPhone data plan while currently on an existing ATT contract will cause you re-up another 2 years. I know my father just got an iPhone (my old 3gs) and all we did was switch his voice only plan over to an iPhone plan without touching his contract length. If he wanted to switch out of his iPhone contract back to voice only (no data), it also would not affect his contract. I have to preface my dad's situation by saying we have a Corporate/Business account for our lines through their business so that might be a factor.

Simm0nS777

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Northeast Ohio
no idea what the guy above me is trying to say. Hes making it way too complicated for your simple question.

Yes you can do that. Its not any different than her just going and buying one herself. She should not get a 2 year contract because you bought the phone at full price. The only reason there is a 2 year commitment is when they give you the phone for $200. They're giving you a big discount on the phone at the price of being locked into them for 2 years. Since youre not taking the discount you will not be locked into a contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.