iPhone Gmail access mystery

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bamf00, Dec 9, 2011.

1. bamf00 macrumors newbie

Up until a few days ago, I had been using my iPhone to access my IMAP gmail with no problem whatsoever.

However, a new problem has come up. Whenever I try to access my gmail using the mail app on my iphone, a message will come up, telling me that my username and password are wrong. Upon further investigation, I have discovered that this problem is only apparent when I am using 3G to access gmail. When I am on any wifi network, I can access it fine. This also applies to when I am trying to sync my google calendar. However, I can access my gmail fine using the gmail app, even on 3G. (my carrier is "SOFTBANK". I'm in Japan.)

To make matters worse, when I use miwi to bridge my 3G internet to my macbook, the osx mail app also has trouble accessing my gmail account. And again, the osx mail app on my macbook has no problem accessing gmail through wifi.

Where is the problem in my situation? Is my carrier blocking my gmail data? Or is this a problem with my iPhone? I have not changed my email settings in any way, and i had been accessing my gmail this way perfectly fine for over a year.

2. E4tH macrumors newbie

Check your google account settings, make sure google's new 2-step verification isn't enabled. Or if it's not enabled try enabling it and generating a Application-specific password for your iPhone.

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Search for the Google Captcha and unlock it from your phone.