iPhone+GMail+Leopard mail not marked read

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thevibesman, Sep 14, 2008.

1. thevibesman macrumors regular

I have noticed since getting my iPhone that when I read messages from my GMail account on the phone the messages remain marked as unread on my desktop's Leopard Mail. Everything works fine in the other direction (i.e. messages read in Mail show up as read on the iPhone).

Some quick Googling revealed that it seems like this problem has been around since '07 so I'm guessing there is no solution but figured I'd check anyway. Anyone have any luck resolving this problem? or anyone not have it?

2. aforty macrumors 65816

Is Mail on your desktop setup to use Gmail's IMAP as opposed to POP?

POP will never mark your messages as read. IMAP will synchronize read/unread status of messages.

3. anupamgarg macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem and I use IMAP.

4. aforty macrumors 65816

I mean for me it takes an indeterminate amount of time after I've marked it read on the iPhone to be marked in Mail (and vica versa) but in general it works fine.

When I'm at work all day and read my personal emails throughout the day and I come home those messages will download in Mail as already read.

So yes it seems to take some time (not sure if thats a google issue or a general IMAP issue) between the status synchronizing.

Good luck guys.

5. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Mine doesn't update ever. I didn't check my gmail on my phone for about a week, and had 54 unread messages as far as my phone was concerned. They don't update read status between phone and mail.app :(. Gmail is set to be IMAP, boo.

6. aforty macrumors 65816

It really sounds like either your computer or your iphone isn't setup to use IMAP.

When you delete an item from your inbox in Mail (on your computer) will it disappear when you log onto gmail.com? Will it disappear from Mail on your iPhone?

Do you have your mail accounts set to sync with iTunes?

If no, go and setup IMAP manually because I'm not sure if when you select 'Gmail' from the mail setup screen (on iPhone) sets it up as IMAP or POP.

Manually add the account by adding 'Other' which will allow you to setup the IMAP server (get instructions for setup from gmail.com)

This way you can be 100% sure your phone is using IMAP, else you can never be sure.

7. thevibesman thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, everything is IMAP on phone and leopard mail. All IMAP features work except mail being marked as read on the desktop.

BklynKid, does it take long for it to sync both ways for you? Deleting, moving, and marking read on the desktop all happen instantly for me, just seems like read messages are not getting marked.

8. sibruk macrumors 6502a

I can't help you with your problem, but I can report that it works just fine for me on IMAP accounts. I read it in one place, it appears read everywhere else.

9. thevibesman thread starter macrumors regular

Even though telling Leopard Mail to sync and taking all account offline then online did nothing, I decided to quit and reopen Mail and it synced the changes. I don't know why I didn't think to try that earlier (I hardly ever quit Mail).

10. aforty macrumors 65816

Sorry then, I don't think I can help.

Read/unread aren't instant, they do take their time sometimes and like I said before it seems the time it takes is random. Perhaps that is something on Gmails end. Deleteing/moving are instant for me but read/unread always aren't. Perhaps those are done on a different priority. Sometimes they take a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes, sometimes a few hours and sometimes they seem like they will never get done (and I get inpatient and mark them read again on the desktop).

What was the longest time you've tried to wait to see if the message would become read in OSX Mail?