iPhone Gmail / Outlook POP Sync Issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JasonR, Apr 1, 2011.

1. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Our business runs on Google Apps, and everyone uses Outlook at access mail. Unfortunately, imap does not work very well with Outlook 2010. I need to set up my boss's iPhone so that she gets messages on both devices as she freaks out if mail goes missing. Is this doable with Google Apps/Gmail and Outlook. Can I set up her Outlook as an exchange account (I know I can w/ the iPHone)?

Any suggestions / solutions to the problem? Thanks

2. gescom macrumors regular

gescom

Are you running Exchange? I am confused to the info you have provided however our company runs iPhones without a problem tied to exchange; Outlook would run just as good if not better. Are you suggesting you all have gmail accounts? More info please.

3. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

We are using Google Apps (Gmail) to host our email. We do NOT have an exchange account.

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Just set it up as an IMAP account in Outlook and the mail app on the iPhone. Forget Google Apps.

5. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Outlook 2010 is extremely slow w/ IMAP...and we receive a TON of email...

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Outlook is not the only email client available for windows...If you don't like Outlook, download another one.

7. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Not an option...due to software requirements we HAVE to use Outlook.

Trust me...I wish it wasn't this way I'm not a fan of Outlook.

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

The only advantage that you are going to get with exchange, is push, instead of fetch, so I don't see how that is going to solve your problem, especially since you can set Outlook to fetch every 5 minutes or so. And once again, use the mail app on the phone instead of google apps.

9. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I get what you're saying, but the problem with Fetch is if she receives the email on her iPhone, it won't come through in Outlook. If she receives the email on in Outlook, she won't get it on her phone.

Her old blackberry some how got around this issue.

Is there a way to fix it so both Outlook and her iPhone both retrieve the messages..?

10. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Why not???/That is what IMAP does... It works perfectly for me and many others on this site. Do you have IMAP set up on the phone in the mail app?

11. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

So I leave the Outlook account as an exchange account, and I just set up the iPhone through IMAP?

12. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

If you are gonna use exchange, set it up the same in both places. But exchange is not gonna solve your problem.

13. JamesMB, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Like I told you in the beginning, use IMAP, on both the phone and computer, and for the fourth time, use the mail app in the phone, not Google Apps.

With it set up like this, if you get an email on the phone, as soon as the computer does it"s fetch/sync, the mail will be on the computer. The only thing that exchange would give you is, that the mail is immediately pushed to both devices, and no sync is necessary.

14. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Sorry, I meant set up Oultook as POP.

Outlook is really slow with IMAP, and my boss has about a 5 GB Outlook Folder. She NEVER gets rid of emails, and considers keeping them her lifeline.

15. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Sounds like you have a boss problem, instead of a mail problem.:D

16. JamesMB, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

If you set it as a POP, you wont have synced accounts, and I bet that the boss wont like that either.

EDIT:I imagine, the reason that IMAP is so slow in Outlook, is that when you initially set it up, it is gonna download the entire 5 GB to the computer, in the "All Mail " folder, once that is done it should be like any other client.