iphone gmail push...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nicolecat, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

So I was in my gmail account today and noticed a new link at the top of my browser that said "New! A bunch of stuff" So, I clicked it.

I was appalled to see that the g1 has an option for gmail push.
    (live updates of received emails)
    ...or does gmail push to the iphone now, and I just missed the band wagon?

Why do they have to be stingy with it? :(
    just curious.

Thanks.

2. daniels macrumors member

Unfortunately it's only for the G1. I'm hoping they'll set it up for the iPhone soon. There's no reason for them to make it exclusive for Android, I doubt anyone would choose an Android phone over the iPhone just for gmail push.

Right now I have my gmail forwarded to my MobileMe account but I can't get email to send from the iPhone and show up as being sent from my gmail. I posted a thread here if anyone has any suggestions- http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=594854

3. twist2b macrumors regular

Free IMAP is now for the iPhone as you can see. Thats it though. I find that not so amazing......
    G1 is fat and ugly and HEAVY..... android and the games made for the G1 is lame IMO.

Overall, the iPhone is still kicking butt!

4. shk718 macrumors 6502a

I bet the g1 has a proprietary push service that the iphone doesn't have. google isn't using blackberry and their not using exchange. Anyone know what their using? Apple would have to implement the feature in the iphone - and we all know how quick apple is to implement things they don't want to.

5. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

there is no official gmail push for iPhone now. Wait for updates.

6. shk718 macrumors 6502a

i have a solution - check out mail2web - they have a free service that allowes you to change the "reply to" address. i've been using it for a few months now and haven't had any problems. i would rather get push directly from google - but for now this will work - the only problem is if i delete an email on my phone it doesn't delete it from google.

7. daniels macrumors member

I used mail2web before I got mobileme. It worked great for a few weeks and then about three weeks ago it started screwing up and stopped pushing to my phone immediately. I wouldn't get any notifications for two days even though I was getting email and then all of the sudden it would say I had 17 new emails. I'm also not going to switch back now that I have MobileMe.

8. amro macrumors 6502

This guy posted a pseudo workaround:
    http://blog.daveberube.com/post/how-to-get-push-gmail-on-your-iphone-20-with-mobileme

It involves changing your SMTP server (outgoing mail server) on your iPhone.

Essentially you setup:
    1. Gmail to forward all mail to your username@me.com
    2. iPhone's me.com account "other smtp server" to smtp.gmail.com (with account info)
    3. Turn off me.com smtp mail server

This doesn't affect my contacts syncing or anything. Works like a champ for me.

9. twist2b macrumors regular

10. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

No.

IMAP does not come close to Push.

At least, not on the iPhone.

IMAP with Gmail will only check for email every 15 minutes.

Push is just that. Pushed in real time.

11. twist2b macrumors regular

15 minutes for FREE "semi-push" is not that bad. Mobile me is a joke IMO. To much for so little.
    I would go with this.....

12. kleinias macrumors regular

I read this discussion with interest. I certainly don't pretend to know anymore than anyone else, but from what I can surmise, (and this is just my opinion) it's probably Apple that has prevented this.

First, Apple could have updated (or even first introduced the iPhone with) the iPhone's Mail App to work with standard IMAP Idle e-mail. I've used phones in the past that have had this and it works perfectly fine with any e-mail service that supports the IMAP Idle standard. For instance, Gmail already supports this standard and the past few Treo's I've used, were able to have e-mail instantly delivered with Gmail. Other providers like Fastmail also support IMAP Idle.

So far, Apple has not supported this standard, instead preferring to strike a deal with Yahoo to provide instant (at least that's the way it's supposed to work) e-mail through a proprietary standard. This way, Apple controls and influences the way we receive our e-mail. They are well aware of the allure that "instant" email has, and (because they have chosen not to support standard IMAP Idle) they are able to control which services are able to provide it for the iPhone.

Of course, you could use Exchange, but they are pretty well aware that most consumers will not go this route unless their work place provides or demands it. I'm also betting that they will not allow another third party developer to provide a competing mail app that does support the standard that many e-mail services (like gmail) use, so we are pretty much left at the mercy of Apple.

13. daniels macrumors member

That's exactly how I have it set up. The sent messages show up in my gmail but it still shows it as being sent from me.com. I also added the me.com email to my accounts page in gmail settings and specified gmail as the reply-to but it doesn't seem to work that way.

14. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Daniels are you sure about this? This is the way I have it set up as well and while it shows on the iPhone as being sent from me.com it's actually sent from gmail.com when the receipient sees it. If you want to test it out try emailing me (i'll send you a private message with my email) and I'll tell you what I see.

15. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

IMAP is not push. Period.

I agree though that MM is a joke.

16. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Well, it depends on your definition of "so little."

I am on a PC, but I loath Outlook for personal email.

I prefer to have a web interface to email and have it in synch with my phone.

MobileMe is a great solution for this if all the sync bugs are fixed.

If I am at work, I can still go to the mobile me site and see my calendar, contacts and email without having to get my phone out.

If I set up GMail with IMAP, then it works OK, but then my calendar and contacts are on the phone only. Not ideal for me.

17. kzoojason76 macrumors member

You can use a free service called NuevaSync to sync your google calendar and gmail contacts.

18. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

So you set up GMail via Imap on the iPhone like normal.

Then you use this NuevaSync to synch contacts and calendar?

Do you do this now?

Does the sync work well?

19. consumedsoul macrumors regular

Spanning Sync

Spanning Sync has been working great for me for the past month, seamless w/ my 2 mail machines and iphone.

20. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy