Iphone Goes Off at 42% Battery

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pauly800, Jan 31, 2016.

1. pauly800 macrumors regular

Iphone 4s. Bought it used on ebay about 2 years ago. It was excellent condition. Phone was great until last year when the battery would wear out very quickly. By that i mean it would drain out without me using it much at all during the day. I noticed the iphone would turn off when battery was 18% or so.

I then got a replacement battery at one of those phone repair shops. I went to a certain one that had very good reviews. Well i then noticed my battery was okay but not like a brand new one. Even when i first got my iphone4s, the battery for it was very good.

The battery was similar... it turns off at 18%. However, i had noticed lately that it even turns off as high as 32%... and then 42%. Right now it turns off around 42%.

Does this mean the battery replacement i got is defective? Here is the other thing. I had updated my iphone to the latest ios. Does that mean that could be an issue? Another thing though is i had lot of problems with my iphone. For example, many times it would go silent then ringer etc. It seems like some sort of glitch or like if i was turning ringer silent on and off myself. Does that make sense? I had then pushed that button down... its on the left side of the iphone4s. Also there been times when my iphone doesn't really work at all and i had to put rice over it. Then it would work.

What are my solution now? The other thing is im wondering... could i have some settings on that make my iphone drain battery so fast? Also i noticed i have a keepass logo in the top right of my iphone. It was never there. Could that be a reason? Why is that even there? I dont have keepass on all the time.

Could my iphone just have damage and be defective now that getting replacement battery is no use? Do you suggest me do a complete restore of my iphone and wipe everything out and start from new? Would that solve this entire issue? But if i do this, my phone number will be saved and everything else right?

However when i first got the new battery, it was a lot better than the battery that drained really fast. However i have lot of issues with iphone now. For example if i want to turn my iphone off by holding the power button then sliding it to the right... i can't ever do this really because the moment i slide it to the right it doesn't allow me to but soft of turn off.

Recommendations for this? I do like my iphone4s a lot when i first got it. However, the biggest issue is the battery. I cannot get use of it if it turns off at 42%. Also throughout the day even when i dont use my iphone but have wifi turned on... it would drain from 100 to like 75 percent. Back then... it would go down to maybe 97%?

2. chscag macrumors 68000

Sounds like you need a new battery. Apple charges $79 to replace an iPhone battery out of warranty, so you might want to change it out yourself. (www.ifixit.com)

3. XT550 macrumors regular

XT550

If you like your iPhone and you want to keep using it, you should take it to a certified Apple Store. They'll run diagnostics and change the battery. Spending $79 for at least one more year of usage is not too bad a deal.

4. pauly800 thread starter macrumors regular

The thing is i already had the battery replaced. Does that mean the place that replaced the battery for me probably gave me a defective battery? I think i paid $35 for it.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 31, 2016 ---
    Also here is a very strange thing about it. When its fully charged to 100 percent... let say i make a phone call on wifi and speak for 2 hours on it. Normally the 100 percent would drain down to 85% at least. Well guess what, it stays at 100 percent. Other times it might go down to 97%. Seems like some very weird glitch.

5. ray.arl macrumors member

6. pauly800 thread starter macrumors regular

Well if its full charged 100 percent. And then i use it throughout the day, it doesn't last for more than few hour. However... the issue is most times i dont use it. And when i dont, it still drains the battery. I always have wifi on.

Can anyone explain why my battery stays at 100 percent after i speak on phone for 2 hours?

7. pauly800 thread starter macrumors regular

read online on apple forum alot of battery issues relate to ios 9. So is this the culprit?

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

You'd read that with pretty much any iOS version that was the latest at the time.

9. pauly800 thread starter macrumors regular

So theres no way to go back to previous ios? I know when i got the iphone though bought used, i never upgraded the ios and never had an issue.

10. eww7633 macrumors regular

A battery replacement through Apple is not going to be an option for you now. Once you've taken out the original part, you've made it so Apple will not touch the device now.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

It might void the warranty, but does that apply to out of warranty work as well?

12. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Personally to me sounds like a battery issue, my mum has an iPhone 4s currently running latest iOS and has ad no issues with anything.

13. eww7633 macrumors regular

Yes. Devices aren't eligible for any type of service if 3rd party parts or modifications are present.