iPhone going overseas

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by EmptyG, Jul 22, 2011.

1. EmptyG macrumors regular

My sister has an iPhone 4 here in the U.S. She is going overseas to Italy for 3 weeks starting next week. She wants to be able to use the phone there, but is worried about it being really expensive. What's her best bet for being able to still have it over there to use? Should she jailbreak / unlock, or is there a better option to have a her account changed for the time she's there?

Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

She won't even be able to jailbreak/unlock it depending on what version of baseband she has.

3. EmptyG thread starter macrumors regular

Luckily she's only on 4.3, hasn't updated in a while. She'd prefer to go the AT&T route, and not jailbreak if possible.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Then she's going to have to buy whatever international plans AT&T offers. Honestly it would be cheaper to just get a cheap GSM phone and a SIM card when she's over there and take out the iPhone SIM to avoid the risk of incurring any roaming charges.

5. EmptyG thread starter macrumors regular

Cool, thanks for the advice. I'll pass it along to her :)

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

AT&T's international rates are highway robbery. Buy an unlocked phone and use a local SIM. She will be much happier.