iPhone Gone Missing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carfac, Dec 3, 2007.

1. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

So I keep my iPhone in a holster holder. Been pretty secure. But sometime Sat nite/Sun morning, it must have fallen out. I cannot find it.

I have called or been to all the places I had been before noticing it missing, and nothing so far. Only went a couple places, but nothing so far.

So, lesson one- Apple or YOU should make a screen saver that says "If Found, call xxx.xxx.xxxx" or something- there is NO WAY to identify the phone.

I was smart enough to lock the phone, so a 4 digit code is required to turn it on. I also have a sim-lock on it, so no one can use my sim (I THINK!). I have also called T-Mo, and they show NO USAGE since the last time I used it Sat Nite. They have locked my SIM, too, so I should be OK on illicit usage.

This is an unlocked phone with a T-Mobile sim.

So, I am wondering about my down-sides- can anyone get to my data (especially in light of it being jailbroken). What happens if someone takes out the sim card? That will lock the card, right?

Being Jailbroken, can someone get into the file system and get my "stuff"?

Finally, is there anyway that they can maybe use the IEIM (?) to help me find it? Should I report it to the police?

Any other advice.

BTW, I had to go back to my RAZR, SUCK! I doubt I will replace it in the near future- much as I LOVE the iPhone, I will wait until the next upgrade now.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Unfortunately we live in a world where if someone were to find your iPhone the chances of them keeping it are higher than the chances of them returning it. "If found" request or not.
    I don't know what can happen to the sim or whether someone can get your stuff but for the $400 phone I would file a police report and see if the phone wasn't covered under your homeowner's policy.

3. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

In MOST of the world, that is pretty true. I live in Salt Lake City, which, while by no means perfect, is slightly a bit more honest than the rest of the US. On top of that, I spent most of Saturday Night at a local Catholic High School. Again, no guarantee of honesty, but it increases the likelihood of an honest person turning it in.

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

You can text the info to the phone, but if you already are using your own number on another one, oh well..

Double that if it has been unlocked - anyone on AT&T and T-Mobile can use it then.

I guess you can report the serial number IMEI (or whatever) to AT&T and Apple for them to keep a lookout for it...

5. Eddiestein macrumors member

Unfortunately, the password lock is useless. You can easily get past it:

1. Slide to unlock
    2. Press emergency call
    3. Dial *#301# and push call
    4. Phone starts ringing, but you're still at the keypad. Push 'x' and remove the *#301# from the number dialed.
    5. Push 0 and call.
    6. Answer.
    7. Hold.
    8. Decline.
    9. You're back at the regular keypad. You can use the contact "exploit" to get into Safari, Mail, or the preferences.

Eddie

6. SAFC2403 macrumors member

I just checked my house insurance policy with regards to my iPhone and am happy to say it is covered. Check your home insurance and you may be able to claim for it.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Go to this website...

www.ifoundyouriphone.com

It's got wallpaper as well. You should get your iPhone engraved, so that you are able to trace it back to you.

Hope it helps,
    :cool:

8. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

You should contact the school where it was lost and ask if it has been returned. If not, you should ask if it would be acceptable to post a flyer. Make sure to offer a reward for its return.

An honest person will return it regardless. A regular person will need incentive. Getting something guilt-free is better than guiltily taking an expensive phone. Someone who just wants the iPhone is going to keep it, though, and there's nothing you can do about it.

The police will not do anything. It was not stolen from your possession, and the only missing things they investigate are people.

You might also call your local Apple store, in case someone thought to bring it there in hopes of identifying the owner. Even if not, give them your serial number and also call AppleCare. If it goes in for service, they may check the registered owner.

Because you have deactivated the SIM and put locks on it, the best way of getting it back is not available to you: calling the phone in hopes that the finder will answer.

Unfortunately, you should be prepared not to see it again.

9. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

I tried that when my Powerbook was stolen. I asked apple whether they could keep the serial number on file, just in case that somebody sends it in for repair. The answer was no.

10. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

Eddie:

Gee, thanks for the step by step guide- very kind of you.

Checking on Homeowners now... maybe. I know I have a 50-0 deductible, so even if it IS covered, it may not matter.

matticus:

Yep- already talked to the school. Filed police report (mainly if insurance needs it. But also, if it is turned in, it gets me on record as loosing it, so they know who to contact).

Been thinking about the poster idea, with a reward. Just might do that. What amount? Its a high school, $50 should turn some heads, do you think or am I out of touch?

Called and got it listed at AppleCare. They themselves will do nothing, but now I just call in once a week, they pull up my file, run the IEMI and see if there is any activity. If there is, I call the cops, they call Apple, and the Apple will give them any particulars they have. Whether the cops act on it is another question.

I called the local Apple Store, they put my name up in the back room.

I even called ATT, and they are cool- they will let me know if it shows up. Kudos to them, even though I am on T-Mo.

11. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

I would not specify the reward, or I would say something along the lines of "new iPod"--if someone then follows up, you can offer them a shuffle or the cash equivalent. It's a little bit of marketing, but recovery is the goal. I can't say for sure and obviously it depends on your own sensibilities, but $50-$75 does seem to be in the ball park. Certainly $20 is inadequate for anything of commercial value these days.
    You can try the police, but departments are overworked and it is the lowest possible priority for them. The Apple store may turn information over to you, as the registered owner of the product. You might consider contacting a lawyer in your area and ask about your options if you have difficulty with that. Once identified, a small claims action may be possible (which avoids lawyers and legal fees) depending on the rules where you live. Obviously, if small claims isn't available for you or there's not enough evidence to indicate that they had it, buying another iPhone is probably cheaper than pursuing further action. In any case, it would behoove you to speak to an attorney if it does pop up in their records--initial consultations are frequently free of charge.

12. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

matticus008:

Thanks for your advice. Actually, the cops have been very kind- called me twice with further questions, updated the EINI number, etc. I do NOT expect them to look for it, but any found property will be checked against their list, so it is something. And if someone DOES turn it in, it gets it back to me!

13. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Cool! Thanks!

14. macathonski macrumors newbie

I hate to sound repetitive but http://ifoundyouriphone.com is the right ticket here. They just added a very cool user interface for editing wallpaper as well - big selection of fonts, zoom, crop... you name it!

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I do not get that part about if some else found it most people would not try to return it. I tend to noticed most people are fairly honest and will turn something in like that. Now they would not go out of there way to find you but will turn it in. I have had a pair of sun glasses turned in before of mine. Heck last year I left my cell phone in the lab at my college. It got turned in and they called my GF from my cell to tell her that they had it.

I have found some one cell before and I just called the home number on it and gave them my cell number.

I find most people are honest.

As for trying to find it I tend to think calling your own cell is some times very helpful in recovering it.