iPhone + Google Voice + Number Porting = Heaven?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stagmeister, Aug 5, 2011.

1. stagmeister macrumors regular

In January, Google started allowing people to port their already-existing phone numbers to Google Voice. That means that whatever your regular cell phone number was, you can now have it work with Google Voice directly rather than having to get a "new" number which points to your already-existing number. Has anyone done this with the iPhone? What has your experience been? Supposedly it cancels your phone service but you can re-start the phone service the next day without having to pay an early termination fee... or not? I don't know. I just read about this and would like to know what your experiences have been.

Thanks!

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Porting cancels your existing service. If you're under contract you're subject to ETF. Google can't change the terms of your contract with your wireless carrier. The link you posted even mentions this:
    Possibly, if that's what you're after. I had no interest in porting when I switched to using Google Voice. Never assume your preferences are universal.

3. rmhop81, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

my wife and i did this with our iphone 4's. ported our number we had for 10+ years over to google voice, paid the ETF, and just use prepaid gophone service for time being. Google voice is awesome. We also use it as our home phone after buying a obi100 for VOIP calling.

Keep in mind when you port out it immediately cancels your contract with AT&T, so you will want to talk to them before you do anything. Also, it costs $20 to port your number to google voice, just FYI.

of course you can make calls through gmail and do free texting all online without the use of a phone. ALL from your regular cell # u ported over.

4. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

Wanted to port mine over but my phone's area code is one they do not support yet :(

5. Greatbape macrumors newbie

I personally find it better to have your normal number and google voice number. Great if you run a business, and don't wanna give out your personal cell number. This way you still only pay for one line, but have the benefit of having 2 lines. And when you don't wanna receive business calls in the evening just turning forwarding off for the evening.