iPhone got a little wet

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by merkianushik, Dec 14, 2012.

1. merkianushik macrumors newbie

Hi!
    So my iPhone got a little bit of water down where it charges with the charger still in it. I was charging for a while, until it started turning the charger on and off (I have no idea how to explain it.. like you know the noise the phone makes when you connect it to the charger? yeah it was making those noises every 2 seconds). So I took the charger out and felt it a bit wet.
    Right now, it's off, but everything works.. Well, I can call, I can receive calls, but when I lock it there is no sound, when I slide to unlock it there is no sound. I tried playing music from itunes and it didn't work. Although the alarm clock worked.
    Is this really bad? What should I do? :(

2. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

My wife's 4S was dropped in our front yard one evening as she was stepping out of the car. It stayed there overnight on the lawn in what was the heaviest downpour of the year (caused flooding in most of the country). We found it the next morning, put it in a bowl of dry rice for 2 days until it dried out. Switched it back on expecting sparks but it works fine...

3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Rice seems to be the key for these things.

Leave a few days and never turn try to turn it on before then.

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Sounds like it's shorted the dock connector. Try giving it a clean with a thin paintbrush and some compressed air. The reason for no audio is that the phone thinks its in a speaker dock.

If that doesn't work - then you have 2 options - if you're handy with a screwdriver you can replace the dock connector yourself, or your can take it to Apple who will replace it for ~$200 (depending on which model it is).

5. merkianushik thread starter macrumors newbie

i would love to leave it in a bowl of dry rice for a week, but i am leaving country on sunday, i need a phone. a charged, working phone.. i will go to the store that sold it to me to see if they can do something about it.
    thank you for the response!

----------

but the thing is that it is on, it never turned off.. anyway, thank you!

----------

i'll try to clean it with a paintbrush! thank you!

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, sounds like you ruined it by getting it "a little wet".

7. merkianushik thread starter macrumors newbie

no need for sarcasm. i didn't take a shower with it. it literally had two drops of water on it.

8. Apple Techs macrumors member

Call up a local iphone repair shop ask them to kick down a pentelope driver (they get cheap ones that will work once for free...they send them all the time from china with a lot of the small parts we buy) take the two screws out of the bottom of your iphone and let it dry with the back off you should be golden...if at all possible leave the phone off I have noticed with power running through the iphone corrosion happens QUICK...if it dry's a lil slower you shouldn't have to much of an issue with corrosion if you need any help what so ever you can pm me and I can offer advice.