iphone got wet please help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mlduree, Jan 25, 2011.

1. mlduree macrumors newbie

I know that there are other posts about this but I have a specific question about my circumstance. My phone was plugged in and on. A small amount of 7up got on it and the screen would only show white. I dried off the phone with low heat hair dryer with the bottom portion of the back off. I put it in rice for a few hours while I google white screen. A site suggested I reboot using the home and power button at the same time. It powered off but now 2 day after being in rice - it will not respond at all. Did I make things worse by rebooting? Is there still hope? I cant afford the $199 replacement phone.

Your responses are all appreciated!

2. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Sorry to hear about your trouble. The usual advice is to switch everything off and disconnect then head for the rice immediately.

If you can't afford the repair (or even if you can) it might not hurt to open it up if you're feeling handy. Just separating the front from the back and leaving both halves in rice for another couple of days might help it air out more thoroughly. That worked for me when my wife dropped her 3GS in the crapper. :eek:

3. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Sadly, any soda product with sugar and such in it will really damage things. Yes, it being on, trying to turn it on, etc, most likely didn't help. But drying it out won't fix the residue left over. Not an easy thing to clean, but using an electronic cleaner, and a lot of patience you might be able to clean it out and get it working.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It's possible you could have melted some of the sugar into the phone when you used the blow dryer, but I'm not sure. I'd leave it in the rice for a few more days and see what happens.

5. mlduree thread starter macrumors newbie

I should have mentioned it was diet soda. No sugar.

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You should have left it in the rice for a minimum of 24 hours (48 would have been better) before restoring power. Using a hairdryer is also a bad idea as it forces liquid into areas that didn't already liquid in them... The best thing that you could have done would be to shake as much liquid out of it as you could and drop it in rice for a couple of days, and hope for the best. As others have said, the fact that it was 7Up (sugar) and not water, is definitely not in your favor.

7. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

But it still has some kind of sweetener in it. Hopefully just not as sticky a sugar.

8. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Look in the headphone jack and in the charging port on the bottom. If your sensors are white Apple should replace it. Coffee spilled on mine but didn't touch the sensors and after that I couldn't talk on it unless I used headphones because I couldn't hear anyone. Apple replaced it no questions asked.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Leave it to an LSU Tiger to recommend fraud. :)

OP, next time come to MR first You made a bad situation worse by turning it back on. $200 will get you an out of warranty replacement.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hey if it was diet you ok then:D
    On a serious note sounds like your screen shorted and might have more damage done to the logic board.
    Your best bet is pay the $200.
    You won't get it fixed cheaper.

11. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Ditto.

$199 Apple Store iPhone Replacement is the best option.

Rice is horrible: when it mixes with water, it turns into rice glue and rice dust and destroys the main logic board even more than the liquid spill.