iPhone GPS Help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Josh Kahane, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Josh Kahane macrumors 6502

Hi

I am getting my iPhone 4 in the post tomorrow! I was curious, if I wanted to use an app for example like TomTom or Navigon, a GPS app, will it be used over the 3G network and charge me? Or is the GPS separate and free once you have the app?

Thanks.

2. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

No, they are self contained.

Why anyone would by a Nav app that relied on cell signal is beyond me.

3. Josh Kahane thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry Im not quite sure how the GPS works that all, thanks for the reply.

So it has nothing to do with the contract I am on or anything? My contract has 'Unlimited Data' (750mb a month) so it wont use that up will it?

4. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

Nope your fine. It's those 99cent Nav apps that charge you monthly/yearly and require a cell signal :rolleyes: . I use NAVIGON and it's great.

5. Josh Kahane thread starter macrumors 6502

Great thanks! Thats a weight off my mind knowing it wont affect my contract and won't cost a penny beyond the cost of the app!

6. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

No problem, NAVIGON is on sale here in the US not sure about the UK. I've been very impressed with it.

7. randomerratum macrumors 6502

People aren't really being clear here-

The answer is, no- GPS doesn't live on the cell network... but if you're using a nav app that is downloading map data (like Waze or maybe MapQuest Mobile) then yes, it's got to get that through 3G.

Remember; Map Data also includes things like traffic reports and alerts... probably not a lot of data, but it's worth pointing out...

Maybe someone else who's had experience with the apps in question can elaborate better?!?!?

8. Josh Kahane thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh ok interesting, thanks for pointing that out. But if I bought Navigon for example? Would that need to download data?

9. randomerratum macrumors 6502

I don't know and would be very interested to find that out myself... I believe it'll have all the maps built in so as long as you're just navigating around, it's only using the GPS, not the 3G... but to use any traffic functions, it has to access the internet to download realtime traffic updates.

I'd really like to hear someone who's used it chime in here..... because I'm looking to get a good Navigation app PLUS downgrade from my Unlimited data in a month or so.........

.....BUMP!

10. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Hopefully you have a car with a stellar air conditioning system if your planning to use it as a gps. This phone can not handle sitting up on the dash in the sun very well. Screen will go dim in warm weather, and in hot weather will display a temp warning after about 15 minutes or so.