Iphone GPS info.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Raishi, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Raishi macrumors member

I've been looking all over for an answer and I've given up and decided to join a forum just to ask my question/s.

(Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong section. It seemed fitting though.)

I don't have a Iphone yet... (Currently have the original Itouch but I need a new cell phone so...)

Anyways to my primary question.

I'm getting a Iphone 3GS and to my understanding it has a GPS chip in it, are there any jailbroken apps that will allow me to download the maps then allow me to use turn by turn directions without using Data?

(pretty much making use of the GPS chip without using Data)

a side question of mine is also... I've been looking into the app xGPS and it looks pretty close to what I want, but same as my question above dose it track me real time via the GPS chip but in offline mode after downloading the maps to it?

=D just list your methods of Turn by Turn GPS please

2. macrazee macrumors regular

There are plenty of GPS apps which store the map data locally on the phone itself. Navigon is my favorite but TomTom and a few others do it as well.

The dirt-cheap ones rely on a functional net connection all the time to stream in the map data, which is a big drawback in my opinion.

3. Raishi thread starter macrumors member

Can I get Navigon and/or TomTom via Jailbreak? and how big are they?

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

what do you mean by jailbrake? Some are over 1~2GB.

5. Wanderermy macrumors newbie

TomTom US & Can - 1.54GB
    Navigon US & Can - 1.52GB

6. Raishi thread starter macrumors member

I don't completely understand jail breaking myself... to my understanding its hacking your Iphone/Itouch so you can access 3rd party apps. I see a lot of people talking about it and I haven't heard anything specifically that would be a reason not to other than maybe voiding some warranty.

And for something that dose not require data/wifi is 1-2 gig enough? I'd be glad to know that is all I need and more than willing to get that but can it work offline without data?

7. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

I think you're misunderstanding what the app store is for and what jailbreak is.

If GPS is your priority, you don't need to jailbreak for such usage, App store alone has a lot of options.

Jailbreak is for other functions that are outside of the box, and I don't think you need to be worrying about it.

8. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

The iPhone uses A-GPS and needs a data connection for GPS to work.

9. iambasil macrumors regular

Not true. The 'A' stands for 'assisted' - meaning it uses cellular towers/triangulation to estimate your location and allow the GPS to find satellites faster.

10. alanlau007 macrumors member

I use Navigon. I have tried TomTom but end up Navigon wins.
    It can be purchased from App store. There are "free" version on the internet for JB-ed device. The app is region base so buy the appropriate map version for your need.

iPhone 3GS can handle GPS location without any web connection as stock from factory. Cellular data and Wifi may help it gets location faster but they are not required. However, app like google map needs web connection to download map information. Navigon will work without any web connection since map is in the app already. According my own experience, it even works without any active mobile phone service.

11. iambasil macrumors regular

You can get an iPod touch to get a satellite signal through gps without any wifi/data at all! It's pretty quick too! As you say, you need to have the maps already to see the arrow on anything other than a white screen.

12. alanlau007 macrumors member

Are you sure it is actual satellite signal, not a wifi base estimate? Or do you mean an iPod touch with an external GPS receiver?
    I never really own an iPod touch. But from what I know, iPod touch and iPad (non 3G) can only use wifi connection to get an estimate location. They can't really get satellite signal so they can't do real time turn by turn navigation. They need an external GPS receiver to do that.

13. iambasil macrumors regular

My bad. It uses the location of known wifi connections - I got confused as it still uses this location even when you aren't connected. Our previous points about A-GPS still stand true though.

14. Raishi thread starter macrumors member

hmmm thank you all for the info/input but just one more question. Anything turn by turn no plan data (no data useage) and is free? I know it would not be as good quality as TomTom or Navigon but I just want to get an idea of my options. Maybe use a low quality free one then upgrade to a better one later or somthing.

(keep in mind I'm getting a 3GS so it will have the chip that I hope to take advantage of)