iphone GPS miles off!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by davidnssbm, Jun 28, 2010.

1. davidnssbm macrumors regular

I have a 3G and recently when I've been doing directions from my current location (home) to somewhere else it's put my home MILES away! What the hell!

And now when I try to do current location to test it it puts me on the free way :|

2. draz macrumors 6502a

If you don't have a clear line of sight to the sky then you can sometimes have problems. I've noticed this myself since I got my 3G.

The phone should by default put a point on the cell tower you are currently connected to, then look for a satellite for more pin-point location.

But if you have it showing that you are not where are, you can try to move around a few dozen feet and see if it becomes a little more accurate to at least show you the cell tower. Or hold the phone to a window and then see what happens after a few seconds.

It happens.... but it shouldn't happen ALL the time....

3. infosprt macrumors regular

I don't know if this will help. It seems to work for me each time...

When you want to get a good current location reading simply open the google maps program, wait a few seconds and then touch the arrow in the lower left corner of the map. Then in a few more seconds the map should jump to your present location.

4. The DRis macrumors 6502

My first 3G was good with the GPS. But when that one broke, and Apple replaced it, the replacement 3G was horrible. Just like you were describing. I could never get it to work. I just used it for a map. My iPhone 4 however is dead nuts on. I love it! So nice to have it back! And the compass feature is even better!