Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igglepuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
i'm not sure if this has been talked about a lot or not (i have been out of town lately, not really looking at the forums much). But, is the iphone's GPS a full-blown, REAL gps? What i'm asking, really, is does it rely in any way on 3g/data, data or is it a straight up gps that completely relies on dishes to work?

just curious - GPS can be handy, but would be pretty bunk if it relied on data at all if you're roaming/out of your area with roaming fees being so high (i don't tend to get lost where i live :p, i would, however, in another country!)

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
It is A-GPS. So a real bonafide GPS. Seemingly a special blend by Apple, it might include the latest from Skyhook, alongside being able to GPS alone, or to use other means prior to GPS. The iPhone can use the network to get a rough idea of where it is also, via the cell it is in and other information.

The GPS itself shouldn't be require a GPS plan, or data charges really.
You can always turn off things when you're roaming.

mattrobs

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
The GPS itself can run without network access. Apple's maps app, however, does not store map data on the phone and downloads them from Google's servers on-the-fly. So to use the GPS as-is, you need internet access.

igglepuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
yea, that's what I figured. Thanks guys ;)

I wonder if something will show up sooner then later on the appstore that has maps for X location, like saw your cars (or a garmin gps for EX) does its deal.. purchace mappacks and so on, woudl eb real handy.. google maps is cool and all, but no data for it makes it useless.. that would be pretty sweet.. like i mentioned, if im lost, i probably wont have inet, and roaming data.. ew.

I know it can all be turned off, was just wondering :)

DeuceDeuce

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2007
San Dimas, CA
The GPS itself can run without network access. Apple's maps app, however, does not store map data on the phone and downloads them from Google's servers on-the-fly. So to use the GPS as-is, you need internet access.

Hopefully an app chnages that but I doubt it...

thor79

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Chicago, IL
aGPS is right....that's assisted GPS. It's regular GPS but it also uses Cell Towers and Wifi to establish a fix quicker than GPS can do. This also allows basic GPS-like functionality even when your phone can't contact the GPS satellites, such as when you're in a building.

Regular GPS doesn't charge you for anything...it's a government run satellite network that is free to use. Wifi and Cell tower may cause you to roam...I'm not sure. Someone with a current iPhone would have to tell you if it does. Perhaps it's able to get position data without incurring charges like you would if you made a phone call or used the internet.

I'm pretty sure you can individually turn off your cell phone reception and wifi and use the GPS still...but don't quote me on that...again something someone with a current iPhone would have to tell you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.