iphone gps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vinnyemmery, May 5, 2008.

1. vinnyemmery macrumors member

hi with all the speculation of the iphone having a built in gps reciever is there any news of who will be implementing navigational software for it .
    ive been using tomtom mobile for a while now ,will it be as good as this? cheers guys

2. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Pure guess, but I'd imagine it would be one of the major gps makers (TomTom, Garmin etc) who will create the software, and Apple will nicely package it with a gps receiver, so it should be pretty much as good as one of the standalone systems.

Unless Apple buys the maps directly and creates its own implementation, in which case all routes will lead to an Apple Store.... :D

3. sparkyms macrumors 65816

I'm making it.

haw no, I don't think anyone knows dude, just wait and see if it even has GPS first..

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Not to my knowledge. I'd imagine they'd see iPhone with A-GPS as a rival, due to convergence. Other companies with mapping knowledge, but not selling GPS handsets might be better suited for apple

E.g. I think Broadcomm bought one out fairly recently.

Apple would want an implementation that Ives would be proud of. Most don't look good enough to be honest - iPhone has enough graphical smarts to do a bang up job of GPS Sat Nav.

Apple may always just leave out the internal A-GPS, and go with an external module approach. Then it'd be more likely to partner up with a GPS maker. We'll see.

Attached Files:

5. zmit macrumors regular

id be expecting a serial profile in bluetooth before an actual GPS.... thats just a firmware upgrade! even easier :p
    (but i would love a built-in GPS.... IF its useful and works...)

6. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I'm trying to figure out how the benefits of having GPS are going to outweigh the cost to battery life. I'm pretty happy with the Maps.app, am I the only one?

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

No cost (bar the theoretical one of the GPS taking up space where battery could have been) if it's not in the phone, or it is and it isn't turned on.

8. vinnyemmery thread starter macrumors member

surely apple must realise that the iphone as a standalone gps device wouid be a breaker for some people as on a journey you wouid only need the iphone instead of portable sat nav unit as well and integrateit with something like tomtoms buddys so people couid pinpoint where you are if you wanted them to

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    If Apple is smart, they'll use what the latest WM phones are going to be using:

eGPS

"The impact on power consumption is almost negligible, as the cellular information is continuously derived via the handset's cellular modem, allowing the GPS subsystem to be powered up only when an accurate position fix is required. A typical eGPS push-to-fix will be available in less than 4 seconds, accurate to within 10m, and require the equivalent power of less than 1 second of handset talk time."

Read more here:

How eGPS Works

The makers claim adding eGPS can cost as little as $1 per unit. Looks like a winner.

10. nineteentwelve macrumors regular

If Apple are to implement GPS into iPhone, then they will use the Maps application. I think Google are working very closely on this with them. Think about it... the Maps application is too feature rich already. It closely integrates with the phone, the traffic (in certain areas), businesses plus other great features. They'll be using that. I'm sure.

11. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I agree that Apple is going to do something with Google on the GPS, and build that into the maps app. I don't think the eGPS will ever catch on to the iPhone, because the 10M distance is rather a large area to hit or miss.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Doesn't the maps app already have a guidance system? Surely the software is already there, it's just with the current iPhone the phones location isn't always updated.

13. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I thought that I heard a lot of complaints from Blackberry users on GPS's effect on battery life. I guess it will be like WiFi/Bluetooth/SSH, its up to the user to turn it on/off. Are the rumors pointing towards an internal GPS? Or merely the ability to plug the iphone into a 3rd-party adapter and the phone will run the software.

Why is GPS so much better than the current Maps functionality? It always seemed to work great for me, even on my Touch. I suppose if I was hiking K2 or something I could see it being useful, but I probably wouldn't bring my iPhone!

14. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Imagine you're the Queen. You want to get your driver to use his current iPhone google maps navigation, to pick up a sparkly new regal 3G iPhone from the shops. You can see the scale at the bottom, a rough 1 kilometre radius is shown from Buckingham Palace.

The point is, as the site Kdarling very well pointed out, there are limitations to the method google maps uses. Hence the use of any receivable wifi locations.

(helpful in the US too, courtesy of more Starbucks etc (you've got mail, and directions to cawfee...)).

It'd be A-GPS the iPhone would get I imagine, and if it got eGPS too, it'd have some good bonuses:

- Fast, more reliable, usable in low and no level GPS signal areas, where using the cell ID can give accuracy in 100s of metres.

eGPS uses the network info, a database of GSM/WCDMA basestation locations, a timing model of the network, etc, black bog
    It's fallback worse position accuracy if it has a signal is ~<100m. So it's worst is better than google maps locate function currently most of the time.

Apple, Google have the smarts to dynamically change the rate of getting a position fix.

Seeing as it's already going to pop into the latest HTC Touch models (see more tomorrow), (headnod to kdarling) why can't Apple do the same?

It might add some price to the device, but as Jobs showed, you can sell the iPhone as a saving - how much would it cost to get all the devices separately (phone, ipod GPS, movie player etc etc).

There's a big market for people who'd use GPS, but don't want to fork out that much for it.

i'd really recommend hitting
    http://maps.google.com/ searching for new york, zooming in, then having a play (or a large city of your choice).

Which of the 2 pictures for 5th Avenue New York Store as a snap shot of a GPS tells you that you have arrived?
    I didn't even notice - it does linescale drawing of the buildings for added recognition. This is Google Earth for GPS in the making.

I'd really recommend checking out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgJSXrkwshg

and there's also this demo of how it'd look on the new 3G iPhone range here If you're pretty pessimistic about it (these are rumours after all) - what will Android use?

Attached Files:

15. impact_blue macrumors regular

I'm sure AT&T will make sure american iphone users use their GPS service for a monthly cost.

16. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

The old rick-roll never gets old, does it? ;)

As cool as Google Street, or whatever its called is, when I'm driving in my car, trying to find the restaurant of one of my wholesale customers, I don't really care about all of that. I just want an address and a way to get there! :eek:

Not to mention, even on my Touch that relied only on WIFI triangulation, the Maps.app never failed me.

Not that I don't like cool new bells and whistles, of course! I just don't want a 3G iPhone that costs $600 again and lasts for a hour before you have to plug it in!

17. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

shhhh ;)

I think Apple has GPS in hand basically. Not too many bells or whistles either. Jobs has battery in mind for the phone, and the GPS is cheap in bulk (they're making 25 million, right?)