iPhone grace period?....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Koofa, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Koofa macrumors newbie

I just bought my first iPhone last week.. got the 4. I wanted to wait until the 5 came out, but my husband is going away for a while and I wanted to get under his phone plan & carrier before he left, so I had to do it now. The employee we were working with @ AT&T mentioned something about how Apple usually allows customers a grace period/window.. if they purchased their iPhone within a certain time period of another one coming out, they'll allow them to upgrade to the new one at the discounted price ($199). Is this true? Can't seem to find any information on it. And if so, how big of a window/time-frame is it? Thanks.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I have never heard of this being offered in the past. I suspect the sales person simply said whatever it took to make the sale.

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I believe it's called a return policy, and depending on where you get your iPhone it can be as long as 30 days or as short as 14. Then you can get the new iPhone at the full subsidized price.

4. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

The new iPhone is not coming out within 30 days. I assure you.

5. Koofa thread starter macrumors newbie

Bollocks. Does anyone know how many returns they allow within a certain amount of time (say, 2 months or so)?

6. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

I don't think it will be more than once a month, because if they allowed that you could just keep buying and returning your iPhone 4 until the 5 comes out.

Don't bother with it. Just find a used 3Gs on eBay and use that for two months before the 5 lands.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

So not true!

The carrier with whom you have a contract determines your upgrade eligibility/pricing, not the phone manufacturer! :eek:

8. Koofa, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2011

Koofa thread starter macrumors newbie

True. Maybe I'll be able to use my husband's upgrade when it does come out (he still has the original), and just trade with him. Thanks for the info, y'all.

He might've said AT&T instead of Apple. I didn't pay attention. All I heard & really cared about, was the grace period upgrade part. Which I find out now, to my dismay, is a sham. :/

9. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I would return it ASAP if you really want an iPhone 5. Just move under his plan and DON'T sign a 2 yr contract with a subsidized phone. Just find a cheap dumb phone on ebay or craigslist you can use for 2 months or maybe your husband has an old phone laying around you can use.

10. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

When the iPhone 4 was announced Jobs also announced that all recent 3GS purchasers would be able to return their phones and upgrade.
    I think it was a 1-month period.
    After Apple made the announcement AT&T followed suit.