iPhone great, AT&T horrible

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nonkn4mer, Feb 20, 2008.

1. nonkn4mer macrumors newbie

I've never had so many dropped calls, failed calls, or service outages in my life! I love the iPhone but AT&T service is really making me think of throwing in the towel and going back to a blackberry and T-mobile. This is outrageous!!! Am I the only one?????

2. stevegmu macrumors regular

This is why I do not yet have an iPhone. AT&T is terrible in my area- and I'm just outside of DC. I can use my T-Mobile phone in the Metro train, but when I had an AT&T phone, not at all.

3. bubba316 macrumors newbie

I'm having similar thoughts. I was a loyal Verizon subscriber for several years and had perfect service everywhere I went. Switch to AT&T, full signal outside in most places, not much signal inside. I was in New Orleans a couple weeks ago, full signal on the sidewalk, nothing inside the hotel. I'd always thought CDMA was better inside buildings than GSM, now I have proof.

The iPhone also sucks at noise canceling. I had to buy a Jawbone so people wouldn't complain about background noise when talking to them driving.

I'm tempted to crawl back over to Verizon and get the Voyager but I know once the SDK and future software updates come out I'll want the iPhone back.

4. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

This is why God invented IPSF... and Geohot... and ZiPhone

Stevie J may design a good product, but he is not so hot on how to get it out there best.

5. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

well i do have att and its pretty good here in L.A. Northridge and everywhere else i go except for sometimes in the mall but what can you do. This is what sucks i agree that the iphone should be unlocked but hell tmobile thats your only choice if att sucks then what diff is tmobile. If any of you dont have att try it out for 30 days. I read it on there website that you can do it. Try it out and see your experience but hell with the iphone i defiantly got better reception then my motorola v551 and slvr.:D but give it a try at least

6. bubba316 macrumors newbie

You can try AT&T out for 30 days, but you've only got a 14 day return policy on the iPhone plus there's the 10% open box fee if you return that. I suppose you could go into an AT&T store and pick up one of their free phones to give it a try before buying an iPhone.

7. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

thats what i meant not on the iphone

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Did you even bother checking AT&T's coverage map before dropping $400 on an iPhone? It looks like Arizona's main highways and cities are covered, but everything else is poop. Don't got blaming AT&T when there's a big link to the coverage area at their Web site.

9. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

i've had cingular/at&t for the last 10 years, and where i live now the coverage really sucks. i have to either be on my patio or in my bathroom to use my phone. oh well, il like the iphone so it's whatever.

10. specops macrumors regular

my coverage is fine... (close to pitt here)
    never have call problems
    sometimes internet can be slow though in a few locations
    80% time reception is perfect

It's not their fault you didn't check the network around your place before buying the phone.

every provider has hot spots and dead spots. doesnt mean they all suck now does it?

11. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I think since July 6th, I have had maybe 10 dropped calls. My AT&T service has been excellent, far better than Sprint used to be for me.

Of course just like with any cell service provider, not everyone will have good service. It depends on where you are.

12. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

That is probably your best pre-iPhone bet- get a pay as you go phone and see how it works FOR YOU in YOUR SITUATION. Personally, for me, I have never had a bit of trouble with t-Mo, and I just wanted to stay with them. Plus, I have a plan that cannot be beat- been a t-Mo customer for over ten years. No sense in giving that up!

13. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

That's what my first thought was. I immediately went and looked at the Arizona coverages for AT&T and T-mobile. There's a pretty big difference and a lot of AT&T's coverage is "partner" associated.

14. bgattis macrumors newbie

AT&T is perfect for me. Never ever had a dropped call. Always have 5 bars. I guess you should check the coverage area and quit your bitching. If the service sucks in your area then oh well..no iphone for you or deal with it. Where else can you get coverage all across the US? Definitely not with T-Mobile.

15. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

I live in the middle of bum f*** south carolina and I drop a call once every three months unless I am inside a brick building with a metal roof and am standing near a wireless server.

Troll on troller.

16. rjohnstone macrumors 68030

rjohnstone

AT&T leases tower capacity from T-Mobile.
    You essentially get coverage from both networks in AZ on your iPhone.
    This is only for voice services, not EDGE.
    I've never had a dropped call anywhere in AZ... that was until I upgraded to 1.1.3 :(
    In this case, it's clearly an iPhone issue and not a network issue.
    I have a company issued cell (Pantech C150) on AT&T's network as well and it never drops a call. More evidence that it's an iPhone issue and not a network issue.

17. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Those AT&T and T-mobile coverage maps are quite different though.

18. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Yup, inside my room I get no service and in my living room I get 1 or 2 bars. Luckily I have wifi to surf the internet on my phone.

19. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

20. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

A few months I was in your situation, and I did sell my iPhone on HoFo and switched to Verizon. When the 16GB iPhone came out, I was tempted to give the iPhone another shot - I have, and I am much more satisfied than I was earlier. In Tucson, they've improved their service quite a bit.

Worse comes to worse, unlock the phone and move to T-Mo.

21. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

In our area At&T is pretty good and T-Mobile is horrible. You should check AT&T's coverage first in your area before signing the contract.

22. ~*allison*~ macrumors regular

I switched from Verizon to AT&T because there were quite a few people around me that says their service wasn't too bad. Now I've had Verizon for almost 10 years, and pretty much never had a problem with their service. AT&T isn't bad, but it's not great around here either. It's strange though...the other people I know on AT&T are getting better service than me in the same exact area. Maybe it's just the iPhone. Who knows.

23. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

i'm getting an iphone tomorrow most likely...switching from Verizon...i hope i don't regret it...Verizon service is unbeatable but they don't have the iphone!

24. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I live next to the water in the San Francisco Bay Area...

and as I'm driving at the top of my street, I get "full bars" and as I pull into my driveway I get 2-3 bars and I end up placing my iPhone in the charger and take all my calls with the iPhone BT, while keeping my iPhone in the EXACT same spot, in order to keep from dropping calls. This is a "tried & tested" way to keep from dropping calls, but recently I've been experiencing more dropped calls in the house, where I have "0 bars" and sometimes "No Service" pops up. I've experienced this same situation with Sprint for almost 10 years, but fewer dropped calls with AT&T. My God, I need to move and give up my home next to the Bay (Coverage map on AT&T website is EXACT for my area)! :cool:

25. aristobrat macrumors G4

Fixed that for you.