Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This is a topic we've generally avoided as its not an easy process, and even with a step-by-step guide, the process can be tedious... but for those who haven't yet gotten around to hacking your iPhone (to install applications, ssh, etc..), Macworld provides a step-by-step guide which attempts to give instructions to do so.

The instructions are not perfect, as there are a few steps which don't seem to work as-is. For example, in my experience, the destination locations when using "putfile" frequently had to include the filename rather than just the pathname to properly copy. (example: /etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key and not just /etc/dropbear)

Good Luck... but remember to proceed at your own risk.

Article Link

mingisback

macrumors regular
May 21, 2003
United States
5 Step process for putting 3rd party apps on your iPhone

I've found a much easier walkthrough than this and it's worked flawless for me.

I now have MobileTerminal, NES, Lights Out, and Installer.app running on my iPhone with SSH installed and SFTP so I can make updates through Transmit.

The walkthrough was written well and worked as described.

Check it out:
http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2007/08/...party-applications-on-your-iphone-from-a-mac/

jat543

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
hacktheiphone.com is a great choice too, the author posts all the updates from the iphone dev team and also writes all his own tutorials for both the windows and mac versions of every hack/add on so far

Bunsen

macrumors member
May 1, 2007
Orlando FL
I just went through the whole hacking process last night using all these guides and more, since each one had a small typo or glossed over a step. The Macworld walkthrough here was a little vague, but the download was very helpful: including most of the tools needed. I had been having trouble building iPHUC from the other sites. I now have Lights Out, Terminal, Installer, and VRecorder on my phone. :) Yay!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.