iPhone had mositure, touchscreen and power button don't work.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by alexuser, Jul 1, 2008.

1. alexuser macrumors newbie

I bought an iPhone in September of last year and I was using it unlocked, jailbroken, and fake-activated on T-mobile. Last week I went rafting and I put in in a "waterproof pocket by speedo". The boat capsized so I fell in the water with the iPhone in the waterproof pocket in my backpack. When I checked it, there was some moisture in the clear plastic pocket, but not even a drop of water was in there. However, when I got home, my phone started to do weird things such as rebooting and the touch screen sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. After the battery died, I let it dry for 36 hours in rice, because rice absorbs moisture. Then I plugged it into the wall adapter. The home button would work and also the ringer/silent switches would work. However, the touchscreen wouldn't work and also the power button doesn't respond.
    I took the phone to Apple today, but they wouldn't replace it because my phone wasn't activated on the AT&T network. They said that if I signed up for AT&T they would get me a replacement phone. Of course I didn't because it is an ripoff. So I came home with a semi-functional phone that doesn't do much. :(

Does anyone have any suggestions such as any replacement touch screen kits, taking the phone apart and selling it, or actually activating the phone?

Here's a video showing exactly what's going on: http://youtube.com/watch?v=fEAkU21Hj54

What would you do?

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Before you do anything, look carefully in the headphone jack. If you can see a pink semicircle (or maybe a complete circle), then the moisture indicator has been touched by water and even if you activated it I doubt Apple will do much to help.

3. alexuser thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, my headphone jack still shows white, even so, they denied me a replacement.

4. solidgoldmini macrumors regular

Do you have a friend with AT&T? Maybe put their SIM in and bring it in?

5. alexuser thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking about that, but they check your activation/warranty status through the serial number. So if I had a AT&T sim in there that was activated, my phone would show as unactivated.

6. alexuser thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking that since I had a friend that wants the 3G iPhone, I could just sign up my iPhone with AT&T, get it replaced, and then transfer the service to his phone. Do you guys this this will work?

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

This is pretty much a step-by-step on how to invalidate your iPhone warranty.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Probably because, as others have said, accidental damage, unlocking, and jailbreaking all void any support and/or warranty that was on the iPhone.