iPhone hands-free in June?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skwoytek, Mar 15, 2008.

1. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Just wanted to get some opinions on iPhone going hands-free in June with the new firmware. Here's my reasoning.

Very few states currently have laws which prohibit the handheld use of a cellphone while driving. However, "Governor Schwarzenegger will sign into law a bill which prohibits the use of hand-held cellular phones while operating a motor vehicle in California." The bill is effective July 1, 2008. This means Apple's Cupertino employees will not be able to use their iPhones after June 2008 without a hands-free interface.

Up to this point, I don't think Steve Jobs and company really cared about the 3 states that enforced the handheld ban. Now that it will legally prohibit Apple employees from using their iPhone in their vehicle - I expect a change.

States that enforce a handheld device ban while driving:

Connecticut - Currently in effect.
    New Jersey - Currently in effect.
    New York - Currently in effect.
    D.C - Currently in effect.
    Virgin Islands - Currently in effect.

California - effective July 2008
    Washington - effective July 2008

2. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

isn't this already happening with bluetooth?
    anyway, here in washington it is already mandatory to have hands free...i don't know what you mean by July 2008????

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Clarification: California's State Law "Hands-Free"

First, it doesn't take effect until July 1, 2008; Second, the law requires a hands-free device such as a wired or wireless headset/headphone (one ear, no stereo headsets/headphones) and a speakerphone, or push-talk phone; Thirdly, it is mostly supported by law enforcement and insurance companies; Fourthly, law enforcement understands that it's going to be a difficult law to enforce, due largely and impart to the number of violators being in the millions on a daily basis; Fifth, and probably most significant, is the insignificance of the fine, which is $20 for the first offense and $50 for each subsequent violation. Exempt are emergency responders. At present there is nothing about "voice activated dialing" and I don't think that was the intent of the law. I would hope the spirit of the law would lead to the restriction of using a handheld cell phone at anytime while driving, due to public safety concerns. Additionally, unlike some of the other states, California will enforce violations as "primary violations" meaning the individual violator doesn't have to violate another traffic offense, the police officer can ticket the driver on the cell phone violation only. Anyway, my humble opinion and the law!

4. toddngina macrumors member

The iPhone works just fine as a hands-free phone, integrating well with the system in my Acura, as well as my bluetooth earpiece.

5. skwoytek thread starter macrumors 6502a

According to the Washington Traffic Safety Commission, it became illegal to text message while driving on January 1, 2008. Beginning July 1, 2008 "Any driver who holds a wireless communications device, like a cell phone, to his ear while driving is guilty of a traffic infraction."

6. skwoytek thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is not the way the news was presented in San Diego back when the bill passed. Perhaps they were wrong, but I hope not. They said voice activated dialing would be required. However, you're right - I can't find that specific requirement in the bill, perhaps the news had only suggested it. The most dangerous drivers I see on the road are the ones who are holding their phones up at eye level trying to find a contact or dial a number while they drive. That's not to say that people with their phones to their ear aren't bad too.

Either way, the method of dialing a number on my iPhone is much more complicated than on my old phone. My old phone [A] allowed me to dial everyone in my contacts list without looking at the phone via 99 speed dials and allowed me to press the button on my bluetooth headset and say, "Call home" or "call office."

So even if it's not the law, the process of dialing on the iPhone is by far the most dangerous step back in driving safety and will hopefully be addressed. For me, it sounds like a good firmware 2.0 feature. And I'm sure Steve didn't spill all the beans at the SDK announcement.

7. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

You mean voice dialing not handsfree.
    Never used the feature on past phones, don't care about it now.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You're right...

the most dangerous cell phone users are the one's "holding their phones up at eye level trying to find a contact or dial a number while they drive." I have no problem receiving calls with my Apple iPhone BT with its' "one-touch" click and answer, and I will just pull-over to "make" a call, again for safety reasons. :cool:

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This is of no concern, as portable hands-free systems are available for cheap and many newer luxury cars already have hands-free system built-in. Additionally, you can use a BT earpiece as long as you don't have both ears covered.

However, California law does not specifically prohibit dialing or text messaging while driving.

10. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816