iPhone Happy Post

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

iPhone 3GS 32 GB White with Stock 3.1.3 Now No More JB for Me thanks to the Genius at the Genius Bar :eek:

Well I just thought with all of the unhappy ppl out there and iPhone lovers turned iPhone haters, I figured I would start a thread to show how happy I am with my 3GS iPhone.

What I love:

Everything

What I Hate:

Nothing

That is not to say there couldn't be improvements made, just that I would like to see what the 4G version will be like, hopefully a little faster, I imagine a model with more memory, I just hope Apple will allow us to customize it a little more, but so far 8 months after getting mine, I can say it is better for me then Blueberry's, my wife's droid, and def better then Windows Mobile Devices bc I have had them all but Android and I love this little white iPhone.

2. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

That's nice. I appreciate my iPhone pretty much since I switched to one in 2007. Never regretted my decision.

3. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

I purchased several phones touted to do what an iPhone does. They didn't. I bought an iPhone to do what an iPhone does. Zero regrets and with jailbreaking even better. I could careless what apple puts into the 4G or 4.0 OS. I can do what I want now. If I was forced to go back to a stock OS it wont be the end of the world.

4. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

i love my phone its great the only thing that would be nice to have is a wallpaper behind my apps but its not much concern to me. but the only thing i don't like about the iphone is that all the droid users say there phone is better and it might be but u know what i dont care

5. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I agree. I bought my iPhone 3G in September 2008 and upgraded to the 3GS shortly after release. It is fantastic and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

6. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

JB is cool and gives you a lot more options, but now that I am stuck with 3.1.3 and the Stock iPhone it is still a great phone however I would like Apple to give us a little freedom in customizing this phone, besides if they allow themes, developers can sell them thru the iTunes App store and everyone wins.

7. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

yeah i know i mean atleast, atleast! allow themes. thats one of the main points people jailbreak. apple has learned a lot from jailbreaking and what people want. such as quickgold i think it is? it was before the spotlight search, it was a thing where you could search your whole iphone. apple copied that. look at themes, now look at the ipad. copied that. and in the beginning of the iphone, jailbreaking was to let people put their own apps on their iphone, because at that time there was no app store. now look at it. that was one of the biggest improvements to the iphone. over time apple is giving people what they want. just not everything they want. and most of the stuff they are copying. dont get me wrong, i love apple, its just that they need to innovate before we do.

8. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Apple won't ever allow themes. The last time they did was for the classic Mac OS, and that ended a long time ago (anyone remember Kaleidoscope?). The App Store was added because it makes money. Themes don't. Apple wants a consistent user experience, themes kill that.

Anyways, back on topic. I'm happy with my iPhone, it does the job. No real complaints.

9. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Love mine. Use it every day. Sometimes I get bored with it but then I just get a new game or something like that and then love it all over again, haha.

10. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a

I remember when I jailbroke my iPod, I was really enjoying all the new stuff and customization but eventually I went back to stock and it felt like a new phone all over again for some reason. Though I did miss some things, I was fine.

11. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I for one enjoy stories of people and why they decided to go back to stock. OP, was there any certain reason why? Was the battery calibration an issue for you?

12. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I think that this is some of the primary reason that Apple keeps such a control over the iPhone software. They realize that there is software out there that can do a lot of creative things, but, it can cause the end user experience to suffer. Sure having someone hold the keys to your nice phone isn't always a pleasant experience, but once you realize why they do it, it does make some sense.

For those who clamor that they have to have multitasking; is it really worth it if it drains your battery, makes the system unstable, or just becomes unruly? I know that if the app developers had full access to multitasking, almost every app would be trying to load something in the background. Before you know it, your phone would take 5 minutes to wake up as the background processes ran.

Yes, someday we will get there. Someday the processors will be fast enough, low power enough, and cool enough to have a major computer in your pocket. But right now, we aren't there. And Apple has figured out that doing a few things WELL makes for much happier customers then doing tons of things poorly.

I welcome competition an the new Win7 Mobile OS looks "OK". But the videos of it look like they are trying to be everything to everyone, and history has shown that approach rarely works.

13. neilp4453 macrumors regular

I think we are already there. The only concern is battery life. The iPhone can handle multi-tasking.

I don't even want full-blown support for multi-tasking. How about being able to run just one program in the background so I don't have to restart everything I was doing before. The ability to manage things (similar to notifications) would also resolve the issue of having too many things running and destroying battery life.

If anything, battery life needs to be a number one concern for Apple as they develop the next iPhone. Consumers want more features and the only thing holding us back at this point is battery life. It is expected that performance will increase with each new reiteration as most technology becomes old within months of release....but this isn't the case with battery life.

14. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

And this is one great reason why there isn't multitasking, even TWO processes. With one process the controller of the OS is much less complicated, it doesn't need to time slice, it doesn't need to manage memory, it doesn't need to be preemptive, it doesn't need to perform context switching, and it doesn't need to be protective in case one application crashes. It just runs.

In computer terms it is like this :

We have passed the "DOS" days where everything was one process, those were the old phones.

Today we are at about Windows 3.11. Sure there is some multitasking, but very limited and to be happy you want one process running at a time (different is that we are not free to try and push more.)

Next up, and is starting to show slowly is Windows '95. It will offer better multitasking (but not great) without a lot of the advanced multitasking features. It will work, but not until the END of it's life does it really become useful.

After that will be NT/Windows 2000. Finally the full preemptive protected memory multitasking. It will run, it won't be totally buggy, but it will be a bit slower.

Eventually we'll get Windows 7 . . someday.

** Sorry I had to use Windows as the example, I haven't been a Mac user long enough to know the history well enough.

15. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Back in the pre-3GS days restoring to stock iPhone firmware was always a breath of fresh air. I was more happy with the way that things worked after that restore but I always ended up going back to jb for a few mods.

As my tastes have evolved and the phone has become more stable and powerful, I've come to like it in a near stock state with only dock modified and Lockinfo keeping me up to date with my upcoming appointments and daily todos. Winterboard runs without hindering the phone's performance and even though devs are putting out some very nice themes (most are paid these days if they're worth anything) I still find Apple's icons the most tasteful. I really wish someone would find a way to make keyboard theming work again (without iAccess).

In summary I'm saying I used to prefer stock because of the lack of sufficient RAM in the first two versions but now that it can handle the extra load I prefer being jailbroken.

I would hope you wouldn't get banned for this. Most enjoyable reading I've had so far today.

The problem with this is once those people are banned or get tired of being annoying, somebody else fills their spot. You'll find them in every forum, you just need to either find a way to ignore them or take every opportunity to call them out.

16. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Wow, this thread has definitely gone off the deep end after that merge...

17. Andy! macrumors newbie

A fantastic device and a breath of fresh air after the promising but flawed world of BB. I jailbroke for a couple of days but broke back in when I got bored with fancy fonts, backgrounds and noises. The only thing I miss from the jb is being able to remove the under icon text, a nothing really. I do oddly enough still have my name as operator logo since returning to the Apple fold, a nice by product which I wonder if anyone can explain?

18. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

you restored from a backup of your jailbroken times

19. theiphoner macrumors member

theiphoner

Just recently upgraded to the 3gs from a 3g, upgrade was a free 16gb 3gs, big tarrif discount and some really good bolt ons which made up my mind to upgrade, I am amazed at the speed, no lag, boot up time is really fast compared to the 3g, all in all a great decision I think, hopefully now its officially unlocked(by o2) when the new one comes out this year I can sell it and get the new one :D