iPhone Hardware Encryption?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by twinprice, Jun 19, 2009.

1. twinprice macrumors newbie

I have scowered the net for anything discussing the iPhone 3Gs hardware encryption, but no one seems to know how the encryption on the 3Gs has been implemented. I am hoping that someone here has an insight as to what Apple has used to facilitate the hardware encryption as this has been a big hot button for the security folks at our firm. A few of us are desperately trying to push though the support for the iPhone, but we need some answers on this one.

Thanks,

2. twinprice thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone know about the extent of the hardware encryption???

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Here's a short article with a response by Jonathan Zdziarski:
    http://anthonyvance.com/blog/forensics/iphone_encryption/

Since the information appears to not be available, an easier way to approach this might be to gather the specific requirements of your company and see if the iPhone meets some or all of them. I assume that the decision ultimately resides with the security folks but you might be able to chip away at their position.

My company uses Windows Mobile for our wireless e-mail, but since we don't use Exchange we manage them with a third party tool. We were able to introduce the iPhone with limited functionality since disk encryption was not available in the 2G and 3G.

I suggest you keep googling Jonathan's name as I expect him to produce credible information as soon (if not before) anyone else unless Apple decides to release more details. Here's a link to his site: http://www.zdziarski.com/

4. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I was actually a little disappointed with the lack of encryption setting on the iPhone 3GS. I was hoping for an option to encrypt my calls, email, SMS/MMS (when I can get MMS) and web usage.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I didn't see any clear indication that I would be able to encrypt anything except my iPhone backup on my computer...

5. applesuper macrumors member

6. firewood macrumors 604

I'm not sure it's an option... to turn off. If it's in hardware, data encryption might always be turned on. Just turn on backup encryption and remote wipe to make sure it's all turned on.

Of course, if there are ways to get the encryption keys off the device before the keys self-destruct...

7. cmaier macrumors G3