iPhone hardware issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bc092785, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Bc092785 macrumors newbie

Hello all, I have an old 3GS that took a swim. I was able to change the battery and get it back up and running but it will only work as long as the new battery stays charged. Every battery I have tried to train dies at about 13% and on e it does the phone forgets all it knows and displays the connect to iTunes logo. Now if I connect it I get error 1611 when restoring and the phone reboots to apple logo continuously. It is weird that if I put a new battery in it again, the issues disappear only to return when that battery is running low again. Does any one have any expertise in this area? It is out of warranty so I will not be asking apple for help. Any info would much appreciated! Thank you

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds like you have water damage and there's nothing you can do to really rectify the situation short of getting it replaced by apple, either with a 3Gs or an iPhone 4.

3. Bc092785 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am looking for information related to changing fuses and coils on the logic board. Is there anybody in this forum who has this knowledge and if so where can I find them? I am not interested in apples help. I have an iPhone 4 for myself, I just enjoy tackling these issues and tinkering with small electronics. If anybody out there has any idea about logicboard work please reply. Thanks

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

You have the equipment for SMT repair? Not something most hobbyists have sitting around. I have the stuff here because I have a fab background, but stuff's not cheap. A decent rework station alone will cost more than a new phone.

5. Bc092785 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a rework station but am not sure about how to test the components. What type of tester is needed? Soldering these boards is very tricky but I have done a few of the easier soldering jobs like the sim reader and flex cables. I am just trying to learn more about it and try it out. If I bust it cool, I have several bad boards to play with. Please share some knowledge with me. Sorry if I sound like a rook, I am lol.