iphone has dead pixel return?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ipaqman, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Ipaqman macrumors 6502

hey all,

i bought an iphone less than a week ago from att and it has one dead pixel in the center of the screen. if i take it back will they exchange it for a new one?

thanks,
    ipaqman

2. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

If the warranty is the same as the computers, as far as dead pixels go, I don't think they'll return it. I could be wrong but I think that it has to be a certain amount of pixels or something. Maybe that's LCD TVs. I can't remember.

3. Ipaqman thread starter macrumors 6502

anyone know? i just took the phone out of the box and saw it. after paying $400 they better exchange it.

4. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Nope they will exchange it no questions asked, same thing happened to me and they just switched my iphone, didnt need a receipt or id or nothing

5. Ipaqman thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

7. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

Where have you been the last few weeks? There has been continuous talk about how Apple voids a warranty after 3rd party apps have been installed or if the phone has been unlocked.

In all fairness, a dead pixel is a hardware issue and Apple should replace it. In reality, unless you restore your phone back to AT&T, I don't think you will get very far with anyone at Apple.

8. Ipaqman thread starter macrumors 6502

i bought the phone at an att&t store would it be easier to exchange there?

9. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I don't know if it would be easier, but if it's inside the 14 day period Apple might insist that you do, although that is a guess. Someone who knows for sure can chime in.

When I exchanged mine at the Apple Store for the same reason, I restored it before I took it in. Is it possible to simply restore an unlocked iPhone?

10. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure about your unlocking issue, but as far as dead-pixel(s) I know apple has a one pixel return policy. No questions asked.. Not sure if AT&T has the same policy. I'm pretty sure they do.

11. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Are you sure about this? Good news if this is so.

12. vinylkiller macrumors member

so do i have to go into a apple store and not an o2 one???

13. Bad Ash macrumors regular

Bad Ash

I just got my iPhone last week and after a day I noticed a dead pixel. Brought it back the next day and they swapped it out no questions asked. Hope this helps.

*It was at a Apple store by the way.

14. ~*allison*~ macrumors regular

I dunno how it works, but I saw something in the Apple downloads at Apple.com that's supposed to help fix dead pixels. I didn't check it out or anything, but I briefly read the description. I'm just curious if/how it works. If someone tries it, let me know. :p

15. jbellanca macrumors 6502

Yes. I had a 15GB iPhone that developed a stuck pixel two days after I got it. Brought it in to a genius, he looked at it, said "Yup, there it is," and replaced the phone on the spot.

edit: Just saw your other comment - Yes, they'll care that you unlocked it. They will likely refuse to accept it back if it's in an unlocked condition.

16. FoxyApple macrumors newbie

17. dothevampire macrumors newbie

dothevampire

you don't want to know! its HORRIFYING! aka this --> .

18. rosemarycane macrumors newbie

I actually had 2 16gig iphones with dead pixels. They were both exchanged at the Apple store by the genius. I would take the phone to ATT. My understanding is they have nothing to do with hardware issues. They will direct you to the Apple store.

As for what a dead pixel is, at least on my iPhone (as I have not experienced one on another LCD screen), is a bright spec almost like a star in what would otherwise be a completely black sky. I know, dramatic but thats my comparision. Usually you can see them when your iPhone boots or shuts down, or with a black screen. HTH:)

19. Mankin5344 macrumors member

Depends on the genius

I took my phone back 2 days after I bought it because there was three dead pixels, but the genius told me they have to be in a cluster. So I had to pay a restocking of $40. So I guess it depends on who you talk to.

20. ~*allison*~ macrumors regular

F*** that. If my phone had two or three dead pixels two days after I bought it, I think they should take it back whether they were "in a cluster" or not. After spending that much on a phone, the thing should be pretty damn perfect if you ask me.

21. Bad Ash macrumors regular

Bad Ash

Yeah that is BS... the genius replaced it as soon as he saw the single dead pixel I brought mine back for. Had the manager overide the restocking fee on the computer and walked out with a brand new one in the box.