iphone has stranger's data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stacysummers198, May 3, 2008.

1. stacysummers198 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

I need the insight of all you knowledgable iPhone users! :)

My MAC was being repaired so I activated my iPhone on a university lab computer. I came out with someone else's data! (pictures, calendar, even access to their Gmail)

Does anyone know how this happened? I'm guessing I must've hit Return or something and it restored from a previous backup that was saved on the computer?

I'm just worried, though, because I doubt this other person asked iTunes to backup his data (judging from the racy pictures, I doubt this person would've purposely backed up his data onto a university lab computer). My friend, who also has an iPhone, told me she suspects that iTunes or maybe even Time Machine automatically backs up the data of an iPhone that's connected to it (since it will sync when the minute you connect), even if you don't specifically ask it to. Is this true? I'm worried because I've plugged my phone into several other computers besides my own, usually just to charge it when I'm at a friend's house, etc.

(1) Does syncing automatically happen when an iPhone is connected to a computer? (I think so because I plugged it into my brother's Mac just to charge it and it started syncing) (2) Does iTunes create a backup automatically when syncing? (3) Why doesn't iTunes recognize that that iPhone isn't set up to sync with that computer, and prompt some warning, the same way it does when a different iPod is plugged into a computer that it doesn't normally sync with? (4) Why doesn't iTunes require a password in order to restore data from a backup??

If anyone could shed some light on this, I'd really appreciate!

Thanks to all!

Stacy S. :confused:

2. bennypod macrumors member

1 To disable auto syncing when plugged in click un chck ato syncing in your iPhone's prefs (on the computer)
    2 depends on settings
    3 i think it does this if you have auto sync on
    4 becuase it is meant to be used in your iTunes library

3. corrado7 macrumors regular

corrado7

post some photos :D or pm :p

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

As soon as you plug your iPhone into any computer, it will automatically begin to sync with iTunes. To stop this process, you can click on the little stop sign with the (X) in the middle on the right side of the little screen that shows that your iPhone is syncing with iTunes. You have about 3-5 seconds to click on that "stop-sync button" then you can go in and click on the boxes and "uncheck" those items you don't want to sync on that computer. Hurry up and get your Mac back and it wouldn't hurt to give AppleCare a call for additional assistance. Also, get your data off that university computer! :eek:

5. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

haha! I was thinking the same, just didn't wanna say anything :p

6. sparkyms macrumors 65816

7. stacysummers198 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ha ha, thanks guys... PIctures aren't that great, though. lol

Anyway, I understand what you guys said about automatic syncing (yeah, I guess this computer didn't have the automatic syncing feature disabled).

BUT... is there a difference between syncing and backup? In other words, if I sync my iPhone with a computer, will it make a BACKUP file of the data on my phone that then stays in the computer?? :confused: