iPhone has water damage - Need a fix

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by drewface, Jun 7, 2010.

1. drewface macrumors member

(I don't want any lectures, just answers)

So, stupidly, I was at the lake playing with my phone. I slipped it into my pocket, and went for a ride on my friend's boat. I completely forgot it was in my pocket. When I got off the boat, I was up to my hips in water. Basically in short, my iPhone is ruined.

I let it dry out for 24 hours, but I made another mistake while I was panicking - I tried turning it on. None of my buttons work, expect the silent toggle switch (idk what you call it). It does charge. It does not recognize my SIM, and my computer can't find it.

I have an appointment at the Apple Store in 3 hours. Both of my water censors are pink. I heard you can cover up the one in the headphone jack with a small piece of paper. I also heard of some success stories where they didn't even look at the censors. Is there any way I can get my phone replaced by Apple?

Also, another question. With WWDC starting in 30 minutes, how much do you think the new iPhone will cost, and when do you think it will come out? If it's no more than $250, I don't mind waiting a couple weeks to get it.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

How do you fix this? Pay the out-of-warranty replacement cost and learn from your mistake.

3. drewface thread starter macrumors member

I said I don't want any lectures.
    Only fixes.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I didn't give you a lecture and I suggested a fix. There is no way to un-trip the sensors (note correct spelling). They will check them. What do you want? Me to alter the universe to make it possible for you to weasel out of your responsibilities :confused:

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

My guess --> Water damage. Your fault. No replacement.

Just own up to your mistake and who knows they might take pity on you.

Remember, when they take it apart, they will see the water damage -- or in your case, maybe actual water running out.

As for the new iPhone. I suggest that you wait a couple of hours (after the WWDC) for your answer.

6. drewface thread starter macrumors member

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That is the fix. You completely ruined it, and trying to get a replacement from Apple udner warranty would be fraud.

8. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

robbieduncan simply listed your option, OP. No need to get all pissy.
    Why make Apple pay for a mistake of yours?

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Funny.

You ask and two longtime members provide responses. Unfortunately, it goes against your intent of trying to rip off Apple with a false story to trick them into providing you a replacement. Yet, in your case, based upon how compact the iPhone circuity is, they will be able to tell even if you cover up the sensors.

Again, if you are honest and tell them a sob story, they might replace for free and if not charge you the out of warranty flat fee.

10. drewface thread starter macrumors member

Give me a good sob story then. Because me being stupid isn't good.
    And yes, covering the censors work. I've heard of many instances where it did.
    You just cut out a small circle a little smaller than the jack, and put a drop of glue on the bottom, then push it down with a toothpick.

11. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

What about the dock sensor and the internal sensor?

12. drewface thread starter macrumors member

White out, or do the same thing for the dock one. I've read they usually only check the headphone one. As for internal, they would give me a new phone by the time they opened it up.

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If you stood in water for any length of time, there will be water throughout the iPhone. As I said above, I would venture that when they take the iPhone apart, water will run out or be very visible. Why put yourself in the position of defrauding Apple? Not worth it.

Instead, just be honest and tell them the truth with puppy dog eyes. (Definitely talk to a female genius if possible.) YMMV.

Edit: Plus wouldn't it be funny when you hand the iPhone to the Genius, they move it around and a drop of water falls out, or shows on the display, or... Well you get the idea.

14. drewface thread starter macrumors member

I have had it sitting on top of my AC for a couple hours. I doubt there will be any water left, it should evaporate.

15. CraigB3 macrumors member

My iPhone became water damaged so i took it to my local Apple store and they gave me a whole new phone for £100.

Craig

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

It takes much longer for it to dry out.

Due to lack of air circulation within the iPhone, my bet is that there is actual drops of water still inside your phone resting up against various leads.

Seriously, just go and pay the replacement cost and enjoy your new iPhone.

(Of course try out your sob story as you have nothing to lose. :) )

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So why are you here again asking for advice on how to scam Apple?
    Since you already have many tricks in mind give them a try and see how it goes.
    Maybe you'll get lucky, maybe not.

18. drewface thread starter macrumors member

OK! Back with good news.
    I got a replacement.

I didn't end up covering anything, left my censors as they were.
    Something I found strange - they no longer do the iPhone at the Genius Bar, instead they took me to a Genius situation by the iMacs.

I told him a fake story. My friend dropped my phone, with my case on it, and it stopped working. The first thing he did was look at the censors, with a tiny flashlight he carried. He asked if I ever got it wet/dropped it in water, I said never. I told him it always worked until my friend dropped it. He typed some stuff in on his iPod Touch (they seem to do all work on that now), and told me he will replace it. He said that because I didn't know what caused the damage, it is OK for him to replace.

Basically, Apple seems to not mind water damage as long as you don't admit to it. Or I got very lucky.

19. monksealpup macrumors regular

Chalk another one up for the entitlement/lack of responsibility generation. :rolleyes:

20. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

So does anyone know what happens when Apple opens up the phone at the refurb center and finds standing water inside? Do they bother to trace the serial number to the original owner and retroactively void the warranty?

21. tikitommy macrumors regular

I could not agree more. I had another dope in another thread complaining why he had to pay even the subsidized upgrade free.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Congrats, you just commited a felony.

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sad to see that you went this way. Very sad.

No, Apple does mind water damage. It's just that you worked the system so that you didn't have to pay the piper.

However, be careful, Karma can be a bear.

24. Boomer654 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums after coming here last Wednesday to research how to fix MY 3G 8 iPhone after it fell in the (you guessed it) toilet. :eek:

First, after fishing it out,(oh joy!:rolleyes: )I removed the case and screen protector and powered it off right away. Then I went ahead and placed it, completely covered, in a bag of uncooked rice. I left it there for 2 days, and then pulled it out, removed the sim card, and worked it over with a hair dryer on low heat for about 30 minutes before replacing it in the bag and letting it sit for another 24 hours. Yesterday, I went ahead and recharged it and powered it up. It talked to my computer, and the apps all worked, but the backlight failed to come back on. After trying a restore and all the "tweak the brightness level" advice I found on the web, it was still no go. I then used it allowing the battery to drain again until empty, and then packed it in a new Ziploc bag with fresh rice, and placed the whole thing on the dash of my car, allowing it to bake in the Georgia sun for about 6 hours. When I took the bag out of the car and took it inside the house, I noticed condensation on the inside of the bag. I removed the phone and placed it into a fresh bowl of rice to cool.

Tonight, after allowing the phone to sit in the fresh rice for another 14 hours, I plugged it in again and... it works. Backlight is working and everything. I am currently charging the phone while it is in the rice bowl, so that any moisture that remains and is vaporized by the heating of the battery will (hopefully) be absorbed.

Lessons learned.

First and foremost, don't go to the bathroom with your iPhone tucked under you chin... it will end badly.:p

Patience pays off. Don't be in a hurry to repower up the phone. I should have baked it FIRST before trying to charge/power it up.

Don't write off the phone until you've tried to dry it out. Sometimes you get lucky. Whether I remain lucky and the phone continues to function remains to be seen.

If you drown your phone and you are a US customer, and are due for your AT&T upgrade, now may be a good time. (I am still a year out and had no desire to pay $300.00 for a new phone if I didn't have to.) U.S. customers should look at Best Buy Mobile for a replacement as their prices were better than AT&T's when I checked. (however, their price for a replacement/upgrade when you are one year out of full upgradable status were actually higher. They tack on $200.00 to the price seen on the Best Buy web site if you're early.)

NOTE:
    The phone was only submerged for a split second in fresh water and still appeared FUBAR at first. Longer submersions or submersions in salt/lake water,will probably not be fixed by this method.

Good Luck.