iPhone HD 512MB ram. Does anyone believe this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Coukos34, May 18, 2010.

  1. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2009
    #1
    Does anyone believe this latest report that the iphone HD will have 512MB of ram? I know I don't think that there is even slim chance of this being true. Why would it? The iphone 3GS has 256MB, and more importantly, the iPad has 256MB. If the ipad (with its large screen) only needs 256MB (and is incredibly snappy BTW), than surely the iphone does not need more. I just don't see Apple putting more ram into their phone than the iPad, it doesn't make any sense.

    Add to this the fact that the iphone prototype that was teared down showed that it had 256MB. This prototype looked very final, I doubt they would change the hardware this close to release.

    I'd love to see that extra ram, I just hope people are not too disappoined when they find out its not true.

    Anyone actually believe that it will? I'd love to hear why you would think that it will?
     
  2. -aggie- macrumors P6

    -aggie-

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    Location:
    Where bunnies are welcome.
    #2
    You can read this to find out all about MR member's opinions.
     
  3. r3voLoL macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 12, 2010
    #3
    Yes i do believe they would put more RAM in the new iPhone than in the iPad. The iPhone could use the extra RAM to multitask things such as location and the other normal apps, unlike the iPad which doesn't need to use location. (Ex: GPS) Also the new iPhone is supposed to have better resolution, which would means the RAM will need to be used more for games and other things, while still using those multitask API's.

    The iPhone they disected the A4 from was an earlier prototype. The one Gizmodo got a hold of was a later model and they didn't get any info on the processor or RAM.

    Assuming you know its not true

    Again, Yes.
     
  4. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2008
    Location:
    somewhere
    #4
    Apple is known to release stylish and underpowered devices. I would not be surprised if iPhone 4G comes with 512MB RAM. However if I own an iPad, I'd be pissed. ;)
     
  5. angevil macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2008
    #5
    I expect no less than 512. The new iPhone has got to be THE phone of 2010. Anyway, the next iPad will probably also get 512 MB RAM. The first model doesn′t even have multitasking. So when the OS 4.0 with multitasking gets released for iPad, that will be the time when they add more RAM to that new iPad model. The first iPad will still handle multitasking, but the new one will do it better.
     
  6. Coukos34 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2009
    #6
    This statement does not make sense. The ipad 3G has GPS and the ipad is aso getting the same multitasking ability as the iphone. Also while the iphone has a higher resolution screen than the previous generation, the ipads' screen is even higher res then the new iphone HD, so your theory there makes zero sense as well...
     
  7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

    Rodimus Prime

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2006
    #7
    To me I feel apple should put to 512 meg of ram in it. The iPhone is really lagging behind everyone else in terms of power.
    Hell the 3GS was released outdated compared to everyone else.
    Phones are coming out now that have 512 megs of ram and I know of several phones all slated to come out that have at least 512 megs. Apple needs to do it just to keep pace because the lack of power is going to start hurting as app programers are starting to pump out more and more powerful apps.
     
  8. Coukos34 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2009
    #8
    This is not a bad thought. The only thing that I would not understand is twhy they would bother with 256MB of ram then on the iPad. They knew the iphone 4.0 os was coming anyways. Wouldn't it make sense to have them both run the same hardware so that everything is cross-compatible (including games)? I hope I am wrong, it would be nice to see, I just won't be holding my breath....
     
  9. bigjnyc macrumors 601

    bigjnyc

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2008
    #9
    With Apple you can never get your hopes up too high, because you will be disappointed. If you go into every product launch with this mentality like me then you'll be ok. Most people get themselves worked up into a lather dreaming of these crazy specs only to be disappointed. Apple is in the business of making as much profit margin as possible to add to their already huge cash reserve, so they are going to slowly give you bits of new technology but charge you the same price.
     
  10. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

    wikoogle

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2009
    #10
    There was a lot of backlash when people found out the iPad only has 256 mbs of ram. This was back in Jan.

    It's quite possible that Apple. seeing the backlash, decided to upgrade their iPhone HD (and subsequent prototypes) to 512 after that point.

    Ram is cheap, it costs a couple of dollars, which is chump change on a device Apple plans to charge ATT $700 for.
     
  11. Geckotek macrumors G3

    Geckotek

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #11
    I used to think the same, but A) perhaps Apple has seen that the iPad is having issues w/ low RAM (lots of complaints in the iPad forum) and B) with the addition of 2 cameras and a cellular radio, it's very possible that Apple felt the iPhone would benefit more from the RAM than the iPad would.

    I don't assume either way. I'll be happily surprised if it turns out to be 512MB and slightly dissappointed but not surprised if it turns out to be 256MB.
     
  12. Small White Car macrumors G4

    Small White Car

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2006
    Location:
    Washington DC
    #12
    The new iPhone will come out, what...2 to 3 months after the iPad did?

    Why is it so crazy to believe that one product will come out with more RAM than a product from the past?

    Things improve, nothing has to stay the same as a different product from several months ago.

    That being said, if they think the iPad can live on 256, maybe they think the iPhone can live on it.

    My odds: 25% chance of 512 - 75% chance of 256

    Obviously, we'll never be able to know if my numbers are a good guess or not. But that's how I feel. I'll be slightly surprised if 512 is the answer, but not shocked.
     
  13. ngenerator macrumors 68000

    ngenerator

    Joined:
    May 12, 2009
    Location:
    USG Ishimura
    #13
    That wasn't on the first page of the thread aggie, was it? Weird...
     

Share This Page