iPhone HD?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gluben, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Gluben macrumors member

I've heard rumours about an iPhone HD being the next logical step for the development of the iPhone, and that if other rumours about a screen between a notebook and an iPhone being developed are to be believed, we could see one in 2009, maybe at MacWorld or in the summer. I've also wondered if the news from Intel about developing chips capable of holding 64GB with dual layering (which are apparently ahead of schedule) might factor into this.

If an iPhone HD did debut in January (which would be nice, given that my 21st birthday is on the 25th!), then if it had an Intel chip, could it hold 64GB, or at least 32GB from either Intel or Samsung? And could it use some of that space for extra iPhone stuff that it has been lacking (yes, "stuff" is very vague, but maybe this could include video recording, a better camera with the relevant software, MMS support etc.). I'm sorry for not being very technical on this, and I haven't seen a thread about an iPhone HD, only 32GB, so I thought I would express myself in this thread.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There's a thread denouncing this already.

The MacPad is a dumb idea. The 13.3" MacTablet is an awesome idea.

The iPhone won't see 64GB for a good long while.

3. Gluben thread starter macrumors member

Sorry.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh, not a problem. It wasn't the purpose of the thread in question, anyway.:D

5. skythefly13 macrumors 6502

iPhone HD?
    iPhone: High Definition?
    High definition 3 inch screen and high definition call quality?

Really?

6. Gluben thread starter macrumors member

I'm just speculating. As I say, I'm not overly technical, nor am I familiar with how far along Intel or Apple or Samsung or whoever is with their HD capabilities. It's just a thought. No need to go "Really?" on me!

7. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

if they can give us the 204 ppi they have on the iPod Nano it will be good enough for me

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'm all for more pixel density but if it got any more dense, I'd soon not be able to read anything in Safari. MR is almost too small to read as it is.

9. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

not true it would have to be fixed in the OS but the resolution cold be changed and it would be fine

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Don't know where you heard those rumors. It's nice you came to a site that knows what it is talking about now at least. :)

11. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

wow talk about talking out of your as$

32gb chips haven't even been produced yet, how do you expect a jump from 16gb to 64

the iphone only has one NAND chip slot ( compared to the ipod touch which has two slots)

due to this fact, the next possible upgrades for apple will be 32gb iphone, and a 64gb ipod touch

but seriously, can you guys stop speculation.. or at least wait until the 32gb chips have been produced :rolleyes:

12. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

As Dr. Cabrera says in the post above yours, the 32GB iPod touch has two 16GB chips but there is only room in the iPhone for 1 chip. :p

14. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Personally, I think that OLED screens are Apple's next step(when it's viable), rather than any increase in resolution.

15. Gluben thread starter macrumors member

As I've already said, I have no knowledge about the process. I am being totally innocent here and just speculating, so no need to be rude about it.

I first read the idea of an iPhone HD here:
    http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2008/10/10/tipb-predicts-iphone-hd-in-2009/

And the 32GB and 64GB chips here:

http://www.macblogz.com/2008/11/03/32gb-iphone-3g-making-its-debut-at-macworld-2009/
    http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2008_08/pr0701.htm
    http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/11/24/intel.34nm.32gb.chip.ships/

And before anyone goes "Sigh...there's another thread for this. Can we end the speculation already?", I apologise in advance.

16. Ademius macrumors regular

Makes sense

I think it's probable that they will make something like this to get people to upgrade. Most 3G users won't, but many 1st gen might.

It would be focused on media..

Higher screen resolution
    Full hardware support for the new in-ear earbuds from apple
    A significant upgrade to the camera, making it viable to shoot decent video
    Front facing camera? (probably not)
    Incorporate stereo bluetooth (A2DP) in 3.0 launching at the same time.
    More storage (32 GB if not released at macworld)
    Other small hardware tweaks

Does it sound like something they would make? What else is there to enhance hardware wise right now that makes people want to upgrade/switch to the iphone?

17. Gluben thread starter macrumors member

I hope so. The reason I'm holding off is partly to do with money (I am but a poor student!), but also because of my current phone and iPod. My phone is a Motorola V500 with Orange, and it is gradually dying on me, plus I've had it for quite a while now and I need an upgrade. I have an iPod nano 1st gen (since 2004 or 2005 I think), which holds 4GB of music. But I now have nearly 19GB of music, and a few videos, and for me it's frustrating constantly picking and choosing what to put on and what to take off. So I'd like more storage to hold everything. I'm sure I could do it wirelessly or something, but I'm just comfortable with having it all there.

I'd also like an iMac to replace my Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop, but that's another story. I'm waiting for both Snow Leopard and Windows 7 to get that.

18. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

They could easily do that, we'll just have to see what Apple feels like doing in a year I suppose.

I'm updating no matter what the new iPhone does coz my free Internet from O2 runs out after a year and iPhone's (even first gens) get a decent price on eBay at the moment.

19. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

thank you for being frank about the fact that you may not know the whole story ( its quite refreshing to see humility on these board)

I'll give you the short rundown ( i have read those article you posted, as well as about 5-10 more on this issue)

The 43nm 32gb (4gb x 8 layers ) chips have been available for some time ( august 2008) but they are too big for use in the iphone. The iphone will be waiting to use the intel 32nm ( again 4gbx 8 layers) if they decide to release a 32gb iphone.

Since the chips themselves have yet to be produced, we cannot speculate when the 32gb iPhone/64gb iPod touch will be released. Best case scenario If Intel can make the 32gb chips by January 2009, we could expect an 32gb Iphone as early as Febuary 2009 ( this is of course a best case, earliest scenario)

:)

20. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Is it not plausable that Apple could build the new iPhone with two NAND slots?

21. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

I highly doubt that

1st generation iphone 1 nand slot
    2nd generation iphone 1 nand slot

the reason for this is quite simple, size constraints

If you remember the iphone has a whole lot more components inside it compared to the ipod touch ( sim card, speakers, microphones, cellular antenna, etc etc)

22. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Ahh alright then.