iPhone & HDRadio -- coming soon.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djcraze, Oct 27, 2009.

1. otis123 macrumors 6502a

wow, finally seeing some hardware integration on the apps!

2. Tres macrumors regular

They couldn't have made that uglier and stick out more if they'd tried.

I'd actually be worried about having that on my iPhone in case I knocked it off and it snapped off inside of the dock connector.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

On top of that, it's a pain in my neck to look at.

It's nice to have some radio at least.

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Rumor is, though, that Apple is working on a radio app to make use of the FM tuner already present in the newer iPhones.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It'd be more believable if those rumors were backed up by a teardown showing the radio lines hooked to the headset jack for an antenna.

Lots of chipsets have extras built-in radios, Java accelerators, and you name it, but they're never used.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

Hmmm

So Apple who has heard since the 1g they need a FM tuner in all the sudden decides to turn on the chip that will allow it to be a Fm tuner. Waiting for them to turn on coffee warmer chip I heard they have too.

7. gibbz macrumors 68030

Perhaps the FM receiver in the nano has been a big hit and they want to extend it to other devices.

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

Doubt it

The rumor is that the chip is already in the 3gs and maybe the 3g and apple is talking about activating it. As far as the HD radio I'll stick with pandora. That's to bulky for me.

9. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I'd love to see FM radio on my iPhone for various reasons, but I am afraid it will be an exclusive feature in the next generation iPhone, thus giving users another reason to have to upgrade. I hope Apple proves me wrong.

10. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

They have on some of the 3GS phones...do a search for "battery overheating" ;)

11. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Forensic teardowns have proven that the chip is physically present - it's the same chip that provides WiFi and Bluetooth.

However, so far no evidence has been provided to establish that the pins on the chip (which would need to be hooked up to an antenna such as the GND line on your headphones) are actually wired to anything internally.

_________

Would this product from Radio Shack be an HD tuner only, or would it also tune into legacy analog FM as well?

12. perealb macrumors regular

perealb

People! People! Why would you want that?! There are tons of free FM radio apps in the apple store. I use Radiolicious. You can get most local FM stations from all over US over edge/3G. It's a trully remarkable app. Another very good app is iHeartRadio.

13. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    I kind of wondered the same thing.... i guess maybe battery life would be the only reason? .....

i know the FM station I listen to has their own radio app that can play in the background and you can not only use your full safari browser but any other app on the phone.... pretty cool... (i kind of wish the other radio apps can do this)

but for other FM stations I also use WunderRadio (US/Can along with World sations) along with iHeart...... and they do work great even on edge....

14. christyn macrumors 6502a

meh. no appeal to me.
    Wunderradio works just fine for me :)

15. Badfoot macrumors 6502

TV here in UK has carried a feature on this and showed a screenshot of the app in action, mentioning that it will soon be available. It wasn't April 1st either.

16. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

For some reason, HD radio never sounded appealing. When I got a new car stereo last year, HD was not one of the features I was looking for even though it was being heavily promoted. XM radio was one of the things I was looking for and one of the things I use every time I get in the car. They were hoping HD radio would catch on as sort of a way to draw people away from satellite radio back to terrestrial because they knew they were losing listeners.

It's not even REAL HD radio. It's just given that name because it sounds more appealing and in the beginning, HD meant Hybrid Radio. The channels are commercial free for now but I bet that's just to get more people into it and then the ads will come.

17. MTI macrumors 65816

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Others have mentioned that many gyms broadcast audio over FM. So a radio lets them listen to TV or other video while exercising.

19. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Pedantically, it is REAL HD radio, because the term "HD Radio" is a catchphrase that was coined by Ibiquity, and therefore its definition is whatever Ibiquity wants it to be. It is Ibiquity's preference for the common name to be used in reference to their implementation of broadcasting digital content in the same radio spectrum as terrestrial analog FM and AM radio stations.

You'd be correct, though, in saying that it's not really "High Definition Radio" because that has never been part of the definition that's been applied to the trademark.

On the other hand, if an HD-equipped radio station shut off its analog carrier entirely, and dedicated its entire frequency allotment to its digital signal, then there would probably be more than enough bandwidth to carry better than CD-quality audio. But in doing so they'd cut themselves off from the majority of currently deployed, analog radio receivers.

I was under the impression that the main content of an HD Radio station's digital stream was typically identical to its traditional analog signal, thus subject to whatever commercial content might be on the analog signal.

But some stations may offer alternative content in one or more of their optional multicast channels. Maybe some of them they might be choosing to offer the multicast channels commercial-free at the moment - or perhaps, they might be having trouble attracting advertisers to pay for time on their multicast channels at the moment due to potentially low consumer uptake of HD receivers...