Iphone Headphone Jack Broken -- Again!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Colgin, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Colgin macrumors member

The headphone jack on my original Iphone 3Gs gave out literally in the last week of its one-year warranty back in 2010. So, I was fortunate to get a full replacement from Apple. Sadly, about 9 months later the headphone jack on the replacement started giving out and became increasingly unusable. This was frustrating as my phone had become my full-time music player and I had almost 2 months of no use waiting for the Iphone 4s to come out.

Because of these problems I opted to get the Applecare+ for the Iphone 4s even though I have never dropped or had any accident with any of my Apple products. But I needed to make sure I had use of my phone as a music player for a full two years. So, here we are a mere 5+ months from the Iphone 4s release and once again my headphone jack is failing.

The problems have always followed the same pattern that I think of as three stages. Stage 1 is that the headphone will start cutting out in a channel or getting phasy sounding if the headphone cord rotates at all in the phone jack. But without any rotation most positions result in fine sound. Stage 2 is where there are only several positions in which I can get decent sound and if the cord rotates at all (i.e., from simple walking) the sound cuts in and out. Stage 3 is basically there is no way to fiddle with the cord and get any decent sound. Today, my phone basically went from Stage 1 to Stage 2.

I will take this into Apple to replace but am wondering why I keep having these problems, particularly since I have never dropped any of these phones and I only use it as a music player a total of several hours per week. Also, while this seems like a short to me requiring replacement, is there a chance there is just dirt trapped that can be cleaned out with an air can or other method.

Finally, with the first two phone (the 3GS's) I was using the stock Apple earbuds exclusively. Now, for the past few weeks I have been using my new VModa headphones which come with a cord terminating in a 45 degree angle plug. This relieves pressure on the plug as it can rotate during movement. While this may be good for the cable I am wondering if any additional rotation would cause wear and tear on the internal phone jack. I would not thinks so but would like to avoid further problems after this.

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I've been using my V-Modas since December and have no problems, so I don't think it's them.

3. Colgin thread starter macrumors member

I didn't think so either, particularly because I have had this problem twice before using just the earbuds and I have only been using the V Moda for a few weeks now, but thought I would throw that fact out there. Love the M-80 by the way.:D