iPhone Headphone Jack Distortion

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Rdeatsch, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Rdeatsch macrumors newbie

This is my first post on mac rumors. I have had iphones since the first day they came out and have had absolutely no issues or complaints about them until about 2 months ago. I use my iPhone as for music all the time. Around 2 months ago I plugged in my monster power beats and everything was distorted and playing at a very low volume. I thought the jack needed to be cleaned which is the most common solution when this happens but that didn't fix it. I went to apple and they gave me a replacement. The replacement worked fine for about 2 days and then I had the same problem again. I thought it could possibly be my headphones breaking the jack so I went in and got another replacement. This time I used the stock apple headphones. Once again about a day later my headphone jack was distorted again. Apple thought it had to be my headphones but now I don't know what to do. If I get another replacement, it will just do this again as I have gone through 4 Iphones in the past 2 months. What could be causing this besides the headphones? Apple said it couldn't be software because if the phone is restored to factory settings and it is still doing it, it would have to be a hardware problem. The only other thing I can think of would be the charging cable I use. It is an AudioQuest Cinnamon 3M USB to Ipod cable. It is used for better audio quality when plugged into my surround sound but since I have an Apple TV I just use it for charging now. Could this cable be sending too much current into the phone in turn causing the headphone jack to fry? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am getting really frustrated with this and I know a replacement is just going to do the same thing until I figure out whats causing this. Thank You

2. Rdeatsch thread starter macrumors newbie

Update on headphone jack issue

I went to apple again on Monday and got a replacement again. I used only apple products that came with the phone this time ie. charging cable, charging brick, and apple headphones. This time on Thursday night I felt my phone get really hot in my bed after being on the charger for a while. The next morning my headphone jack was fried again. Could it be possible that the i phone charging block could be defective? what else could be going wrong? I have troubleshooted everything now with no results and I'm getting sick of going in and exchanging my phones. any help would be greatly appreciated.