iPhone headphone jack non-compatible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ero87, Jul 29, 2007.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

Hey friends,

my iPhone gets to me in a few days :D:D:D, but i'm a little concerned about some rumors i heard about the headphone jack. is it true that i can't, say, plug my computer speakers into the iPhone? Or play it in the car with tape deck? What's different about the iPhone headphone port?

Thanks so much!

2. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

The headphone jack is sunk in so anything that is thicker than the included headphones wont work. So yes, 99% of all speakers wont work, at least the ones i Have tried. You can buy a couple different products that allow you to use any normal speakers.

3. Red Sox macrumors regular

Oh my god I can't believe I'm about to help out a Yankee. But I guess it's OK since we're ahead 8.5 games. :)

The headphone jack is recessed, so most 1/8" plugs will not fit. Usually the rubber part of the connector is too thick. However, with certain connectors, you can carefully cut away the rubber to make it fit. I was able to do this with my Sony headphones and to the cord that plugs into my car. But when I tried to do this on another cheap set of headphones, it screwed up the connector, so be careful.

You can also buy an adapter from Apple, and there's some cheap ones on ebay too.

4. wakton macrumors newbie

Solution Found

I ran into this issue and when I went to the apple store they where asking for a killing for the adapter and a basic case. I looked for days to find a place that sold it and I found a company that found the product for me and sold it for very cheap. I got the case and the adapter for a portion the cost. They actually sell more than is displayed in-which I found out just need to ask them. They shipped my product same day. Now I am not going to kill APPLE.

http://www.techsourcepro.com/sections/item_details/?item=iP-N07083

http://www.techsourcepro.com/sections/items/?cat=55