Iphone Headphone Jack

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jeyts, Feb 15, 2011.

1. jeyts macrumors newbie

I've done a lot of research before getting to the point of making this post.

Apples headphone broke off inside my Iphone, I immediately started digging at it with no success. So I went on the internet. Sadly, the first solution I found involved putting superglue on the end of the broken headjack and trying to join the two. Which only made things much much much worse.

I then tried to use a drill bit as suggested to pry it out to no luck.

I then brought it to a blacksmith who handed me back my phone which looks like he took a jack hammer to it and the jack inside looks all cut up. He had given up.

I then tried heating up a safety pin until it burned bright orange and jam it in melting it. It was tough to pry out and I tried this multiple times but to no success.

At this point, I'm done trying to remove it. I want to know if anyone has any idea how to disable headphone mode. There must be some sort of app I can use. Possible that Apple is aware of this issue and is going to provide some kind of option to enable the speaker while the headphone is plugged in.

I went to the apple store while I had a warranty coverage and they refused to do anything for me. I did find out later that I might've been able to call up the apple store to get it replaced but by then my warranty had expired. Do you think it's also possible that I can still call up and they will replace it if I cause enough problems?

2. jeyts thread starter macrumors newbie

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I'm glad you stopped trying as your methods were getting more and more drastic.

One of the problems is that the broken-off piece is free to rotate in the jack so that something like a screw remover won't work since it can't get a "grip"...unless that glue is everywhere and holding it in place now. That's what I'd try first anyway. You can get screw removers at hardware stores. Some electronics stores might have them...especially small ones.

In the meantime a bluetooth headset is your friend.

4. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

IPhone + blacksmith = major fail. Thought of a small shaped charge? Anyway, good luck with the Bluetooth headset option.

5. jeyts thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol, like a small explosive charge? I love the idea of a blue tooth. I never thought of that before, thank you. I'll also try the screw remover. I'll just have to hope I can find one small enough.

6. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

this is no big deal at all. just take your phone to an iPhone Repair shop in your area. they can replace the headphone jack cable and your problem will be solved. this cable also controls the volume button, the vibrate button, the headphone jack, and the on/off button. this is not a fast repair and I dont suggest trying this yourself. even with the experienced guys it will take about an hour.

7. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Maybe I'm misreading the post, but it sounds like he just broke the plug off in the phone, and is trying to get it out. I know that you work on these things a lot, how can he get the plug out?

8. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

my response is correct. he will have to replace the headphone jack cable. I have tried many times to get broke plugs out and so far I have never been successful. its much easier just to replace the cable as I suggested. sorry there is no better option that I am aware of.

9. Badfoot macrumors 6502

Any small ordinary screw will do, you don't need a screw remover (LH thread) as the headphone plug isn't screwed in.

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Wouldn't TNT be better? :D

Gotta say though OP, when you said you gave your iPhone to a blacksmith, that made me cringe immediately inside.

11. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Your iphone still works after all that!?

What id have done was get the use of a drill press, a very fine drill bit and Extremely carefully drilled a small hole into the centre of the jack making sure to not go too deep, then very carefully epoxy a length of thin brass wire into the hole, wait for it to dry and pull the while thing out.

I guess you could get a new headphone socket too? If its possible to get one and replace it. Maybe replace and other parts that have been damaged too.

Good luck

12. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Like I said neither will probably get a grip. A screw would have to be of high quality steel. Also, removers are threaded for the purpose.

I think chargit is right. Service is required.