iPhone + headphones, anyway to get sound from speaker instead?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Hellhammer, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So, I've had my iPhone for about a month but as far as I know, when I have headphones attached, all sounds comes from headphones, right? I have my headphones attached all the time when I'm not at home so it annoys me when somebody calls me and I don't hear it because the sound comes from headphones.

What I'd like to be possible to do is that everything else but music would come from both speaker and headphones (if both are not possible, then just from the speaker) and I haven't found it from the settings.

I didn't find anything by searching but if there is already a thread about this, please link it to me or if I'm totally wrong, just let me know.

Thanks

2. army91c macrumors 6502a

The headphones over ride the speaker. I don't think it is possible to have sound come out of both HP and bottom speaker.

If you're not listening to the hp, why have them plugged in? Maybe switch your phone to vibe/ring so you can feel when someone calls. +

3. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I wish there was a feature to turn off the ring from the speaker when headphones are plugged in. When i'm at the library studying for finals, it's nice to hear the ring of a text message to interfere with the music so i know one has come in but when someone calls its a real pain because it's so quiet in the library. The vibrate function of the iphone isn't noticeable at all for me. I can't feel it so that part is useless for me as well.

4. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

5. Noumenon macrumors regular

Though I'm not certain it will work,... try a LOD (line out dock) ---> portable amp ---> headphones. The LOD is better quality anyway than the headphone jack and the amp will allow volume adjustment.

6. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

my phone rings even with the headphones in. mine is the 3g did they change that on the 3gs? timers and alarms also rings through the speaker too.

7. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

I was going to say this also, both speakers ring at the same time (on my 3gs) I think the OP is talking about sound once the call is answerd, With bluetooth you can select the audio source, but it seems headphones dont give that option.

I think this would be a good thing for apple to fix :)

8. Hellhammer thread starter Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I mean when it rings (I'm not ure does the sound come from speaker or headphones) but yes, when I answer, I wouldn't like to unplug my headphones everytime and my headphones (Koss Porta Pro's) don't have a mic so...

Not even an app to fix this?

9. John T macrumors 68020

John T

The phones socket on your iPhone incorporates a switch. When the phones plug is inserted, the switch disconnects the speaker circuit. That is why, when headphones are connected, the speaker does not work whilst listening to music/ calls etc.

Just think about it, the majority of amplifiers, phones etc work this way because poeople don't listen to music etc via headphones and loudspeakers at the same time!

The reason why you are having " trouble" making a call while using phones is because you are not using iPhone compatible ones which use a four ringed plug and incorporate a microphone.

10. Hellhammer thread starter Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The problem is that I have my headphones plugged in all the time when I'm not at home but I don't listen to music all that time. I understand what you mean but I don't like the original Apple headphones and I've never used "handsfree".

I just wanted to know if there is a way to use headphones when listening to music and all other sounds would come out from the speaker.

11. John T macrumors 68020

John T

As I stated in the 1st para of my post - the simple answer is "No" :mad:

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

$64,000 question: Why on earth do you leave them plugged in when not in use?:confused: How do you use the iPhone like a regular phone and/or Internet/text/email with unused (wound around the iPhone?) headphones plugged in? You should put them in their protective case so they don't get damaged.

13. Hellhammer thread starter Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I have them around my neck and have had for years. When I had iPod Nano and my ex-Nokia, I had them same way all the time, plugged 24/7. I usually don't carry anything with me which would have space for storing headphones and it needs too much effort to put them away and then take them from a backbag and replug everything. Porta Pros can't really be wound around anything so I have iPhone in my trousers' pocket and the cord goes between my skin and T-shirt and that actual headphones are around my neck.

I've had my Porta Pros for around 4 years now and no damage so far

14. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I use mine mostly hands free as I am listening to audio books while working. but the solution is to get a headphone adapter so you can use any headphones and still get use of the mic/remote. this takes care of the problem. my only complaint is the plug is straight and the cord gets bad after living in my pocket awhile. but the mic is really good and having pause on hand is nice too.
    http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Smart...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1262629057&sr=8-14