iPhone Headphones: Cracking the Case

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by crazylegsmurphy, Oct 7, 2008.

?

Do you have a crack between your headphone jack and Chrome Bezel?

1. Yes: And I am not happy about it at all and would like something done.

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. Yes: I'm not happy about it, but don't see what can be done.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes: I can live with it though so I don't plan on persuing it.

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Yes: But I'm seeing other problems other than cracks (jack falling out, plastic flaking)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No: I have plugged in headphones many times, no issues.

15 vote(s)
    83.3%
  6. No: I have not yet plugged in headphones.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. crazylegsmurphy macrumors 6502

Hey All,

When I first got my iPhone I noticed after 4 days that the case was cracked between the headphone jack, and the Chrome bezel. At first I assumed it came like that from the factory as I had only plugged in the headphones twice.

I had it sent back, and received a new iPhone. This one is being sent back for another reason, but I noticed yesterday that it too had a crack in the same place as the first phone.

I realized that I had plugged in my iPhone earphones, my Bose earphones, and my car adapter in the last week and some. I'm not sure which one cracked it, but since my first one was cracked via the iPhone headphones I can assume that they, or quite possibly all of them have the ability to crack the casing.

This got me wondering if in fact it won't matter how many iPhones I get from Apple, it might be inevitable that they'll develop a crack there due to a poor design choice having such a thin bit of plastic between the jack and the edge.

I am curious how many others are seeing this problem. Bear in mind it is quite hard to see and you need to hold it up to the sun, or some other bright light source to see the crack. I have seen bigger online, but I am wondering if this is happening to more people than just me.

IF it turns out that this is a design flaw, I wonder what recourse we have with Apple if any. I personally, could live with it, but only with a rebate of at least $50 or something and a guarantee that the phone will be replaced if a design change is made in the next year.

What do you guys think?

I currently have a new phone arriving via UPS tomorrow, and I'm a little curious to see if the plastic cracks yet again (or what other defects the phone might have). I'll post back if it does.

Jeff

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Hey Jeff, I'm using Bose headphones as well, but I've never experienced the cracking of the case. I know when I first put the headset plug in the jack, it was extremely tight and I realized that I hadn't put the headset plug in all the way, so it took a little bit of force to make it fit properly. Since then, it hasn't been a problem. Keep Us Advised on the situation. Thanks, SFSS:(

3. selena12321, Oct 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014

selena12321 macrumors member

4. crazylegsmurphy thread starter macrumors 6502

wahuh?

All my headphones are what I would call "snug", but I have never had to force them in with any great force.

I mean, it might not even be the actual force of putting them in there but slight lateral movements that are cracking the plastic (something that can't be avoided unless you listen to your iPhone while it sits on the desk).

5. Stepper macrumors regular

I got a crack there aswell, its tiny though so I can live with it ;)

6. crazylegsmurphy thread starter macrumors 6502

Fair enough...but I have to ask...why would you?

I am beginning to think I might have to as well as it may happen no matter what with any normal use, but I feel a bit cranky (if it keeps happening) that I paid so much for a phone that continually breaks just by using it as intended.

Personally, depending on if it happens again (and how many people come forward with this on here), I might approach Apple and argue for some money back, or free product to make up for the cost/time/annoyance.

Again, and more importantly, I simply want a guarantee that my phone will be replaced if they update the design with either new plastic, or a complete redesign of the jack.

7. dougelo7 macrumors member

dougelo7

On my white iPhone 3G, the little silver bezel in the headphone jack split and almost fell out. I pushed it back in with a bent paperclip.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

That would kinda be a reason to exchange it for a new one IMO. :)

9. Stepper macrumors regular

I would rather have a 1/2mm crack that you can BARELY see unless you study the top of the phone, then goto the apple shop (15-20 mins on tube), go through the whole "my phone has a tiny crack on it, i want a new one" process, then go home activate the phone, re-sync all my music,videos etc, then buy another budyguardz and go through the whole pain of putting them on again. :rolleyes:

You can't even see the crack because its so small, I might try and take some pics when I get home from work but seriously its only from the headphone jack to the chrome bezel, smallest crack ever.

10. crazylegsmurphy thread starter macrumors 6502

No, you're absolutely right...and you know what, I think that is what Apple is counting on.

I know when I get my phone today that if it's good in all other ways I'll be keeping it regardless if it cracks again, and will be putting on my IS/Bodyguardz that came yesterday, but I don't think as customers we should simply sit back, shrug our shoulders and accept this.

Out of principal it should be addressed as all of us have spent a lot of money on this product, and we deserve to be able to use it as intended without fear of it breaking.

My biggest concern in this is that the crack will lead to bigger problems down the road as the jack is used more and more often, only to have Apple turn us away because warranties have run out, or they accuse us of dropping/mistreating the phone.

That is why I am trying to document how many people are having this issue so I can (if I need to) formally approach Apple with this issue and have some solid evidence to back it up.

So I encourage you all to take another look.