iPhone & headphones issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Yelner, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Yelner macrumors newbie

Mar 29, 2014
    I don't use headphones with my phone a lot, but today I tried to put in headphones in my 5S and I didn't need to use much force to push it in.

The headphones stay in there, but easily slide out with a pull.

Also phone is not detecting the headphones at all. I've tried 3 pairs of different brands.

I think the jack has gone bad. Should I go to Apple store to have it swapped?
  2. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2010
    That's odd, the headphone jack on my 5 has always been ridiculously tight...to the point I feel like I must fight my phone every time to get my earbuds back, out of the jack. It actually saved my phone once from a fall as it dangled, hanging on by just my earbuds! Near-heart-attack experience.

Do you wiggle or stress the jack much when the earbuds are plugged in? Nonetheless, schedule an appointment with a Genius to resolve this problem as this sounds like a hardware fault, and you can possibly get it swapped out. Sent from my iPhone 5.
  3. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Mar 18, 2012
    I'd bet on some lint/fluff has built up inside the hole not letting the jack all the way in to lock in place.

Try a straightened paper clip or similar to check if this is the case here.
  4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Dec 15, 2013
    New York
    That has saved my phone so many times. It's always worth the tug on my ears.
    This is very possible. Paper clip should work extremely well but what I usually use is a tooth pick. It works fine. If that still doesn't work take it to a apple store they will probably replace it right a way.