iPhone Headphones Not Working Properly...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jsquared, Sep 2, 2008.

1. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

The button on the headphones is faulty at best. I can click it once to pause (sometimes) and double-clicking it is like a 1 in 10 shot of skipping to the next song. Double-clicking usually pauses the song.

Anyone else have this problem? Do I have to buy a new set or can I try to get a free pair?

2. kes601 macrumors regular

I have the same problem, I have to twist the connector around to get it to work most of the time. I've tried a couple other headphone / mic combos(non Apple) and they work fine. I am going to wait a month or two and try to get them to exchange just the headphones. I figure exchanging now would probably just get me another faulty pair.

3. jsquared thread starter macrumors 6502

jsquared

I'll try twisting it to see if that helps. Not a long term solution though. I think the last time I went to a MacAuthority store they had iPhone headphones not made by Apple. That still had the mic and fast forwarding controls. I might try those.

4. fraygos macrumors newbie

Same problem here ... Its actually beginning to be a problem when answering a call. I answer but they cannot here my voice. I have to disconnect the headphones to talk into it. Not convenient at all. I am also waiting a bit to see if that twist thing works ...

5. fraygos macrumors newbie

Other forums found a solution and low and behold it also worked for me. Check your headphone jack port and see if any lint went in there. Basically I used a paper clip to fish it out but you have to be very careful and of course its your responsibility if you scratch something in there. I found a lot of lint in mine ....

6. kes601 macrumors regular

Glad it worked for you. Mine has no lint in it though, I never carry mine in my pocket. I gave up trying to use those headphones, another set I have works perfectly. I'll get them exchanged at some point.

7. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

just go to the apple website and to the self service DIY repair section then order a replacement one. They ship a new one out to you before you have to send the defective one back so you aren't with out your earphones. I did this when my right speaker in my headphones stopped working. its all under warranty

8. treytor macrumors newbie

iPhone Headphones Not Working Properly...

Thanks for posting the hint about using the paperclip to clean the lint out of the headphone jack, I just tried it and found 2 huge pieces of lint in there!

It's already sounding much betting when using the headphones. I never even thought about the fact that I carry my phone in my jeans almost everyday, with the headphone jack facing down into the pocket (where the lint would be)!