iPhone headset solutiion

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Just like the Apple earphones for iPods these are too large for my ears. They keep popping out :(
I found a solution for the iPod ear buds by attaching an "adapter" that clips over the ear bud with a rubber tip that goes in the ear. Well, I found a similar device for the iPhone headsets. I've ordered, but haven't received it yet. I expect them to work as well as the ones I use for my iPod. They can be found here:
http://www.eforcity.com/cothxxxxhsp1.html

kalamus

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2006
Grand Prairie, TX
Wow nice find. I havent seen these before. I cant stand the regular Apple earbuds. Those things are huge and hurt my ears after about 30 seconds. I will pick these up and give them a try. When you get yours let us know how they work out for you!

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Wow nice find. I havent seen these before. I cant stand the regular Apple earbuds. Those things are huge and hurt my ears after about 30 seconds. I will pick these up and give them a try. When you get yours let us know how they work out for you!
I sure will. They are supposed to ship in 1 - 3 days. ;)

adamjohn98

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
I generally prefer silicone over foam tips on earbuds, but I just found these and thought I would share them with you. These are Comply Whoomp earbud enhancers that are compatible with the iPhone's earbuds. These use a type of memory foam that molds to your ear, and may be worth a look. However, these are quite a bit more expensive than the silicone tips from eforcity, totaling $19.99 before shipping costs.

Check them out:
http://www.hearingcomponents.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?search=action&category=0141&keywords=all

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I generally prefer silicone over foam tips on earbuds, but I just found these and thought I would share them with you. These are Comply Whoomp earbud enhancers that are compatible with the iPhone's earbuds. These use a type of memory foam that molds to your ear, and may be worth a look. However, these are quite a bit more expensive than the silicone tips from eforcity, totaling $19.99 before shipping costs.

Check them out:
http://www.hearingcomponents.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?search=action&category=0141&keywords=all
Looks nice but how do you know that they are compatible with the iPhone's ear buds? On the web site it states "Designed for iPod". I've noticed that there is a difference between some iPod ear buds and the iPhone ear buds. The ear bud "adapter" I purchased previously for the iPod ear buds do not fit the iPhone ear buds.

adamjohn98

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
Ahh good question. I'm assuming that the iPhone earbuds are the same size as the new style earbuds that ship with the iPods, and the comply website clearly states and shows that the new ipod earbuds are compatible. Either way, I've ordered a set and will let you know if they fit.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Ahh good question. I'm assuming that the iPhone earbuds are the same size as the new style earbuds that ship with the iPods, and the comply website clearly states and shows that the new ipod earbuds are compatible. Either way, I've ordered a set and will let you know if they fit.
Great! I'll be watching for your post :)
Thanks!

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
More ear bud "pads"

Here's another one that's similar. It costs a little more, comes in different colors and sizes (even though I'd only need the small).

http://www.hdaccessory.com/servlet/Detail?no=17

Now keep in mind that it doesn't say they are compatible with iPhone ear buds, just iPod. So, it may not fit. The first site I gave actually gives the diameter. I measured the iPhone ear buds and it looks like they will fit.

Maybe someone will order them and post their opinion :rolleyes:

StophMac24

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2007
Miami
Like many of you guys, i dont like the apple ear buds.....glad that apple gives you a pair of them with whatever you buy from them, but they fall right out of your ears when you exercise.........however, i have a solution that worked for me, and might work for you depending on your earphones. Usually, earphones come with extra rubber that is usually thicker than it needs to be and is really for look if anything. On some earphones, like the ones I purchased form the apple store (some nike ones), if you take the rubber around the pin off, they fit perfect, sound perfect and dont need an adapter:D

kalamus

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2006
Grand Prairie, TX
Here's another one that's similar. It costs a little more, comes in different colors and sizes (even though I'd only need the small).

http://www.hdaccessory.com/servlet/Detail?no=17

Now keep in mind that it doesn't say they are compatible with iPhone ear buds, just iPod. So, it may not fit. The first site I gave actually gives the diameter. I measured the iPhone ear buds and it looks like they will fit.

Maybe someone will order them and post their opinion :rolleyes:
That website now shows compatible with iPhone! :apple:

Looks like I have a decision to make.

YoMamasPyjamas

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2007
Dirty Jersey
This is EXACTLY what I need. I hate Apple's ear buds (what else is new), and was considering splurging on the Vibe Duo's, but was turned off by the lack of the click-button functionality, plus I already have Shure e2c's so it seemed like a possible waste to spend $100 for new iPhone earphones. These tips, if they fit right, are right up my alley. And if better quality earphones with the a good microphone/click-button functionality arrive down the road, I'm golden!

Anyone who gets any of these, please post your thoughts in here. I'm excited to see how they work and if the Apple buds still hurt your ears even with the attachments on.

Peter Kim

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2003
New York, NY
Griffin Earjams

I picked up a set of Griffin Earjams (http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Technology-4039-EJAM-EarJam-Enhancing/dp/B0006Q7FFG) last week from Amazon. I found that the sound quality is definitely worse. The bass is too heavy, mid-tones are boxy, and the high end is diminished. Turning on the "treble booster" EQ helps but it's definitely not an ideal solution. But at least they stay in my ears now!

They'll tide me over until Shure releases their iPhone adapter next month. Does anyone have anymore info on those? I wonder how they'll work with my E4C's long cord.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
That website now shows compatible with iPhone! :apple:

Looks like I have a decision to make.
You're right! The ones I ordered (from the first source I listed) have shipped and I expect to get them soon. I do like the colors on this site. I may order them as well. I have a lot of apple ear buds (from previous iPods) that don't fit my ears so I could probably use the extras :rolleyes:

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I picked up a set of Griffin Earjams (http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Technology-4039-EJAM-EarJam-Enhancing/dp/B0006Q7FFG) last week from Amazon. I found that the sound quality is definitely worse. The bass is too heavy, mid-tones are boxy, and the high end is diminished. Turning on the "treble booster" EQ helps but it's definitely not an ideal solution. But at least they stay in my ears now!

They'll tide me over until Shure releases their iPhone adapter next month. Does anyone have anymore info on those? I wonder how they'll work with my E4C's long cord.
I use Griffin's Ear Jams with one set of iPod ear buds and they're terrific. Tried them with my iPhone ear buds but they did not fit.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
You get shipping info on these yet? I ordered them yesterday and I cant even track them yet on the site.
Yep! :cool:

Subject: Shipping confirmation for invoice XXXXXXX
Date: July 17, 2007 11:54:38 AM EDT
Thank you for your recent purchase from Eforcity.

Your order XXXXXXX has already been processed and shipped via USPS. Orders usually arrive in 4-14 business days of the ship date, but delivery may take longer in some cases, depending on US Postal Service's delivery schedule. Due to the holiday seasons, your delivery may be slightly delayed by US Postal Service.

The package will be delivered to:

Item Num Description Qty RefNum
COTHXXXXHSP1 Universal Headset Earbud Pad Set , White 2 N/A

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
You get shipping info on these yet? I ordered them yesterday and I cant even track them yet on the site.
Oh, if you provided your email address when you placed the order they should contact you by email on your order :rolleyes:

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Yea I got my e-mail but 4-14 days is a pretty broad range. :mad: Pony Express back in business! Lucky I have patience.
I think they use that 14 day window so you won't complain about it not being received when promised. Sort of like how restaurants take your name, give you a 30 minute wait estimate then seat you in far less time ;)

Anyway, the postal service seems to be pretty speedy most of the time (well, that's been my experience). I usually receive postal mail or packages within a week when mailed anywhere in the U.S.

SheepNutz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Kantuckee
I got around to buying a set of the JVC Marshmallow earphones, now I just need to take the time to solder them onto the iPhone wires/mic.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
The eforcity ear bud covers just arrived. Three different sizes (small, medium, large) come in each package. First I tried the small but not a good fit. Then I jumped to the large, okay but not the best. Lastly, I tried the medium, better fit and the ear buds stayed in my tiny ear canal. Now, even though they fit and are worth the price I paid they are not as snug as I'd like. I'll keep looking for something that has a more snug fit. Meanwhile I use these. It beats having the buds constantly falling out of my ears.
Griffin's Ear Jams were PERFECT with my iPod ear buds but don't fit the ear buds for the iPhone. I'd love to find something similar to Griffin's Ear Jams for the iPhone buds. I'll keep looking. ;)

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Eagerly awaiting your review :rolleyes: I would like to try these next. I noticed that they come in different sizes. I'd have no clue which size to order. Fortunately the ones I received today included 3 sizes so I could try them all for the best fit.