iPhone headset static during calls?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jableskg, Aug 15, 2009.

1. jableskg macrumors regular

I'm having problems while using my iPhone headphones during calls. I plug it in and after a few minutes i can hear static. On my end its not too annoying but the callers are saying its really bad on their end. Any possible reason for this?

They work fine when listening to music.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If the static is more pronounced on their end than your end, it might be microphone related... e.g. ...

- bad microphone
    - wire damage to the microphone part of the cable without much damage to the other parts
    - mic rubbing up against clothing

Etc....

3. jableskg thread starter macrumors regular

I'm gonna try a new headset and see if that does the trick.

4. wackulous macrumors member

i have the same issue with the new iphone 4. Took it to the genius bar, they opened it up, cleaned it, tested it and said they couldnt find anything within the phone that could be wrong, so they replaced the headset.....but the issue remained.

I had to send my iphone in to Apple to get repaired for another issue so they sent me a loaner iPhone 4 (which seems to be brand new). With the loaner phone, the issue STILL occurs...I'm not sure what it can be.

Usually if i unplug the headset then replug it back in, the static goes away but eventually returns. Any ideas??