iPhone heats up when used - is this normal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stardotboy, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Stardotboy macrumors regular

Had a search around the forums but couldn't really find any definitive answers on this.

When I use my iPhone, particularly when browsing or watching a video, it has a tendency to heat up over time. Not to the point at which it's uncomfortable to hold it or anything, but it does get very warm on the back. My concern is that it may get worse in time or it may have an impact on the phone's function - for example it might affect the battery life.

Has anyone else found this? Is this normal or is it worth getting it checked out at the store?

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

mine does this too after extended use and browsing

3. cjmal macrumors 6502

Yup that's normal. at time mine used to get uncomfortably hot.

4. D3lta macrumors 6502a

I just got my iPhone last week and it gets pretty warm for me too. I find it a little weird that it gets that warm, but I guess it's normal.:rolleyes: I just hope nothing explodes in my face.:mad:

5. Xpublius macrumors newbie

Heat

Mine gets warm, but nothing I've ever been concerned about. I would be concerned if it got uncomfortably hot.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

That is normal for the iPhone...

to become noticeably "warmer/hotter" over a period of time. Especially while viewing videos and extensive surfing. Also, if you use your maps a bunch, (like me) then you'll also experience the same rise in temperature. And finally, if you have your "auto-lock" on anything over "1 minute" you will definitely notice the rise in temperature. Don't fret, it's normal and your warranty covers this situation with your iPhone. You are lucky that you didn't experience my discovery of this issue! I put my iPhone in the front pocket of my trousers while I was "driving" my car and I thought I had a serious "STD!" I cried all the way home! LOL :eek::eek:

7. kevinwiz macrumors regular

of course it's normal, name one gadget that does not get hot after heavy use.

8. grumbler macrumors member

I always imagined that it was because of its metal back (which may or may not actually be metal)

Is it weird that I hold iPhone's back against AC ducts, then enjoy the cool Apple sensation?

9. Stardotboy thread starter macrumors regular

Every other phone I've ever had, but point taken :D thanks for the responses, feel better about it now!