iPhone help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iN3WB, Apr 12, 2011.

1. iN3WB macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I'm a brand new iPhone 4 user, previously a blackberry user. I have two pressing questions.

1. To retreive my e-mails, right now I have to actively go into my mail folder and wait the 3 seconds or whatever for the iPhone to retrieve the mail... I believe this is referred to as push mail setup (I use gmail). I like the blackberry method much better that e-mails just instantly sync to the blackberry and altert me that I have new e-mail... Is there a way to configure the iPhone to get the e-mail instantly on its own (like force it to sync with my inbox every 10 seconds or so)?

2. I've read from a few other iPhone converts that many people are disappointed the iPhone does not have a flashing LED signal when there are new email/texts/voice mails/missed calls. Is there an app to get the iPhone to visually alert you when there is a new e-mail/text (or if not an app, some other setting I haven't figured out)? At work I need to keep my phone on silent and constant vibrating or alert noises are not allowed.

Any help on either of the above would be greatly appreicated. Thanks!

iN3WB.

2. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

1. you have it currently synced as fetch (it will check every so often or you manually refresh to see if there is a new email). Since you use gmail, you can set it up as an exchange activesync email acct (push similar to bberry but still not as reliable) by setting the server as m.google

2. no, you can add notification options on you home screen,but thats if you jailbreak

3. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

1. Set up your gmail account under the Microsoft exchange server. Google the steps on how to do it. This will sync your email with your phone, and the second you get an email, you will be notified on your phone. I use this with both my gmail and hotmail accounts. I couldn't live without it.

2. Try boxcar. It does this.

4. iN3WB thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all, that's very helpful. One follow-up question. One of my e-mail accounts is through gmail, but the address is @"companyname".com vs. @"gmail".com. Is there a way to modify the m.google.com server name for a company specific gmail account?

5. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

not sure, Id try m.google.com still and see if it connects.

6. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

I'm pretty sure it should still work. Try it out and post back here and let us know if it worked.