iPhone help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by lm546, Jun 25, 2013.

1. lm546 macrumors newbie

So I have a scenario for anyone that can help. I was working on my car the other day and happened to drop my iPhone 4S in a bucket of brake fluid. My phone is now junk. I am not willing to pay full price for a new phone and I don't have insurance on it because I listened to a friend that told me I could buy the apple care plans anytime within the first year. I contacted someone in town that had a 4s listed on Craigslist and met them at the Verizon store. Come to find out they switched to a different carrier and didn't pay off the balance they owed Verizon, so Verizon would not let me activate it because of the hold. If I put my SIM card from my broken phone into the locked phone would I be able to activate it on my account?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't know about SIM cards as I'm on Sprint and this is the very first time I've ever dealt with them. Currently on Sprint they are only used for LTE.

Anyway, I do know that a direct out of warranty replacement price from Apple is something like $199. So, if you paid anything like that to the guy from CL you could have had a new iPhone for that.

Sorry dude, looks like the guy was trying to dump the bill on you.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No.
    The Verizon 4S you bought is blacklisted.
    Also not sure if you knew but you can bring your damaged 4S to Apple and they will replace it for $199

4. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hear. But sounds like you got shafted.