Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

honeytoast

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
bay area, CA
I was rearranging apps on my iPhone today and thought we should be able to do it within iTunes. I'm not very good with Photoshop so i don't have a mockup. If someone could make one we should submit it to Apple.

Basically you could have a button from your applications screen in iTunes that would show the (9) home screens and let you drag and drop apps with the mouse to rearrange them. The next time you sync it would copy it on your iPhone.

img0001gw4.png

What do guys think?

honeytoast

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
bay area, CA
I just think it would be much faster than doing it on the iPhone. I'd imagine that I'll be checking the store for new apps once a week and downloading a few at a time. It would be nice to arrange them in iTunes, sync my iPhone and have them appear where I put them.

Ensoniq

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Bronx, NY
I absolutely agree there is a need for it.

If you want to keep your apps alphabetized, or in groups, or however you want, using your finger to drag them from screen 2 to screen 9 is just ridiculous.

A visual editor would make it much easier...especially as the # of apps people have on their phones grows. This is an excellent idea for an upcoming iTunes upgrade.

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England
I apologize, i should not have been so quick to dismiss your idea now i can actually see some benefit in it.

I dont have photoshop but heres a keynote mockup of what i would like to see.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    174.9 KB · Views: 597

tico24

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Eastleigh, UK
I don't see the point in that either. What I would like to have is the option to remove the contacts app and other crap that I just don't want. (I'm 22...I don't care about stocks).

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
I don't see the point in that either. What I would like to have is the option to remove the contacts app and other crap that I just don't want. (I'm 22...I don't care about stocks).

When I was 22 Apple stock was the lowest it had ever ben, I wish I had cared about stock back then as I would be rather rich right now!

That being said, I think with the ever increasing number of Apps out there, and the increasing number of Apps people have on their iPhone, a way to manage how the Apps are organized via iTunes would be great.

I hate updating and getting new apps and having to move everything around on the iPhone screen, especially if I have to drag across multiple screens.

I really want a sreen for games, one for productivity apps, one for internet pages, etc, but I can't be bothered doing this with my finger all the time.

txr0ckabilly

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2008
Southwest Louisiana
I hate updating and getting new apps and having to move everything around on the iPhone screen, especially if I have to drag across multiple screens.

I really want a sreen for games, one for productivity apps, one for internet pages, etc, but I can't be bothered doing this with my finger all the time.

i was trying to keep my apps organized like this but i just gave up. every time it updates an app stuff gets rearranged or when you add a new app you have to rearrange. i just took my wife's approach: let the chips fall where they may!

noaim

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2008
I know this isn't a permanent fix. But I just recently updated my phone to 2.1 from like 1.1.4 or something. Anyway Once i got into the apps section I pretty much went hay wire downloaded a ton of free apps and a few paid ones.

Anyway I noticed that this was really a pain to have all these apps scattered all over and the fact that it was going really slow to put them were I wanted. So I searched google for any method of moving apps around....

This was clever.

Drag the main apps on bottom of screen off the dock onto the first screen

then you have 4 open slots to grab apps and switch between screens and drop them were you want. Moving 4 apps at a time makes it really quick.

However this isnt a solution this is simply a currently usable work around.

bluenoise

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
I think this is a great idea and I would certainly use it. Also, the tip about using the slots at the bottom as a temporary shuttle of apps is good.

compulsiveguile

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2008
OH
I'm shocked that Apple (or some other third-party) hasn't come up with better iPod Touch/iPhone application organization.

Kudos to whatever "genius" thought to use the main apps bar as a shuttle :)

A N G E L

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2008
San Francisco, CA
This idea is pretty clever.

What users could do is highlight/select as many as 16 apps at a time (for each screen) and drag them to the iPhone/iPod touch image shown on the right. There, they can move around and re-organize multiple items.

To scroll through each page, there could be two small arrows on the bottom-left and bottom-right of the Home Screen image, or users can still use the mouse as one would use their finger to arrange things on their Home Screen, but replacing the Tap with a mouse click instead.

This could probably be placed under the Application tab whenever an iPhone/iPod touch is connected, this way whenever users are done organizing, they just click 'sync' and their Home Screen is ready to be viewed on their product just as it was made to look from iTunes.

Plus, I don't think the wiggling of the icons would be necessary, as they would always be wiggling and would make iTunes run slower with the animation, but it could sure be an option. =]

There we go, just trying to add to your idea. =D

Genius stuff man, you kick ass.

Surrix

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
This is definitely a good idea.

At the very least, the icon drag and drop should be modified such that it is possible to drag an icon over several pages without bumping existing icons off their pages when a page is full.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
What would happen if you made changes to the layout while unconnected to the computer? It would become out of sync - what would get priority? The state on the computer, or the state on the iPhone?

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2008
this is a great idea...

I for one have each page set up as a category:
page one i use for apps i use every day
page two for apps like facebook,myspace,BOA,loopt,remote
page three i have all games
etc..

problem is when you load a new app it kicks it to the last page then i have to drag it to what page i want it on...

this would eliminate the hassle...

:apple:

DavieBoy

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2009
New Jersey
Not caring about stocks is like saying I don't care about how I spend my retirement. But maybe you will just off yourself at age 50, I would. Not trying to be mean, just saying.

This is a great idea. I spend a lot of time rearranging my apps. sections for utilities, games, websites...

I just wish when it backup your phone it would remember where you left things. I restore my phone at least once a month to keep it sharp.

I think it will be out soon enough, apple steals whatever the hackers do. Hey if someone has a good idea that they can not copyright, TAKE IT

There is a app for jailbroken phones called categories. Lets you make folders and put things in them with custom icons. Comes with 200 icons and you can download more. You can even put folders inside other folders

Here are some examples of what i was able to do...

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 146
  • photo21.jpg
    photo21.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 129
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 128

ineedamac

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
What would happen if you made changes to the layout while unconnected to the computer? It would become out of sync - what would get priority? The state on the computer, or the state on the iPhone?

The same as when you purchase songs from iTunes on your iPhone. When you sync the iPhone organization of the home screens overrides what is on your mac/pc. Then if you want to change them you can do it in iTunes then sync again for the updated home screens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.