iPhone Home Signal Booster

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by billywhitelegs, Jul 24, 2008.

1. billywhitelegs macrumors newbie

Anybody had any luck with some sort of home antenna signal booster for their ATT signal for their iPhone? I'm looking.

TIA!

2. CyberGreg macrumors regular

Don't mess around with the <$200 ones

Can't go wrong:
    http://www.digitalantenna.com/

I returned so other POS that I spent about $280.00 on and the DA4000 is flippin' awesome, obviously it depends on the size, layout, antenna installation and signal strength outside your house / apartment.

NO I do not work for them!
    :cool:

3. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

4. tvspy macrumors newbie

Specs say it requires a direct connect to the phone. Howzit possible on an iPhone?

5. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Yeah I don't understand how it works.
    Why would anyone want to connect their iPhone (or any phone for that matter) to a cable to increase the signal? That totally defeats the purpose have having a cell phone.

6. gb1200 macrumors newbie

7. tvspy macrumors newbie

I've been using one of their products, the zBoost YX500-PCS 1900Mhz Repeater Kit, at my vacation home for my Sprint PCS card for more than a year. It does work. I am in a marginal area with zero to 1 bar, 1x indoor coverage without the repeater and mid to full bar 3g coverage with it, using the kit's outdoor-mounted antenna. Unfortunately for me, I purchased the single-band model, so I can't say how the dual band or 800Mhz model will work with my new 3g iPhone. It's reasonable to expect that it would work, however, including boosting speeds to 3G from the fallback E in marginal areas. Note that it is designed for marginal areas. You must have at least some service on your phone while standing outdoors. It will not create service in areas far beyond a cell site, nor will it create 3G speeds in cell areas not yet upgraded.

8. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

I just bought the one that I linked to from Amazon...

9. tvspy macrumors newbie

Did a little checking on the Web site-- it works by capacitive transfer. You stick a sensor on the back of the phone. The sensor is wired to the amplifier. Kind of like how a cell signal is passed through glass on a window-mounted car antenna. Obviously, mobility is limited to the length of the tether.

10. tvspy macrumors newbie

Please report back on your experience. The PCS model I have requires a minimum separation between the device and my laptop.

11. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

12. w0ngbr4d macrumors regular

I've been looking at Spotwave's Z1900. You have to buy the right frequency for you carrier, and its supposed to work pretty well.

Instead I bought a Verizon cellphone to use at my apartment where T-Mobile didn't get signal. Then T-Moble turned on another tower and I got 5 bars. Talk about frustrating.